Works Progress Administration (WPA) records in the National Archives report that in 1937 WPA workers were used to “Remodel, renovate, and paint buildings located at 460-476 C Street NW, together with other small supplementary buildings.” The work included, “installation of plumbing and electrical facilities… demolishing and removing partitions, structures, equipment, etc., salvaging usable materials…”.
The purpose of the work was to render the buildings usable as offices and storage space by various departments of the District government.
Exact location of the buildings in question was not given, but they have almost surely been demolished for subsequent federal office buildings, court houses and so forth in the downtown area of C Street.
National Archives, Record Group 69, “Microfilmed Index to WPA Projects.”
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on July 6, 2013.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE