This former WPA school in what was then the community of Blue Bell (no longer extant) was restored as a private residence in the 1990s:
“But now, thanks to an adventurous couple from Tulsa, there is something else in Blue Bell that promises to secure its legacy – an old, hand-hewn sandstone school building restored to its glory and looking much as it did in 1937 when it was built by the Works Progress Administration…
The building, gutted and remodeled during the past four years by the Wingfields, has everything that more modern homes have – living room, kitchen, bedrooms, baths. But the family also has kept much of the decor from an era when area farm kids attended first through eighth grades there…
School pictures loaned to the Wingfields by neighbors show there were about 60 students and two teachers in 1937-38. That was the year Blue Bell students moved into their new building.
The old, one-room frame school building had burned; students attended classes in the church building while WPA workers built the new one…
The buildings at Blue Bell School were among about a half-dozen other area projects completed by the WPA in the mid- to late 1930s. The sand stone at Blue Bell was quarried and chiseled about a quarter-mile away.
Master stonemasons, carpenters and cooks who had been put back to work by the government program lived in tents on the site. An engraved stone on the southwest corner of the building carries the WPA logo as well as names of the Blue Bell School Board members in 1937.
The Wingfields are completing paperwork in an effort to have the restored building listed on the National Register of Historic Places.”
The school closed in the 1960s when the Blue Bell school district merged with Kellyville.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE