Biscayne Park Vilage Hall
“By a vote of its 113 citizens, the Town of Biscayne Park was incorporated on December 31, 1931, and on June 16th, 1933, a state charter was granted changing the name to the Village of Biscayne Park. The Works Progress Administration built a log cabin, a clear and distinct reference to the Depression as well as to the simplicity of the American frontier days. On February 1, 1933, at the height of the Depression, the Federal Emergency Relief Program provided the labor for the Dade County pine construction. William Green, a resident of the Park, as well as a Councilperson, was a regional administrator for the Federal program and was certainly instrumental in the creation of the Park’s singular and distinctive building. The actual expenses incurred were a grand total of $247, met by individual donations of $5 to $20 and gifts from the Card Club that ranged from $10 to $22. In light of today’s multiple million dollar projects, these modest sums seem very quaint, but when held in light of the circumstances in which they occurred during the national depression, they reflect generous and caring residents and a community that was conscientious of their town. At a special ceremony on January 24th, 1935, the finished Log Cabin was officially turned over to the Village, and to this day has been the center for the daily operations of the Park. Since its creation in the thirties, it has been the prized symbol of the Village of Biscayne Park.” (http://www.biscayneparkfl.gov)
The Village Hall today also serves as the Police Department, the Building Department, the Code Compliance office.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE