NYC Parks explains that, “The city acquired the land for Berry Playground for $18,000 from the Brooklyn Eye and Ear Hospital in 1936. It immediately came under the jurisdiction of Parks…”
A new playground opened on the site on November 13, 1937, as explained in the Parks Department Press Release:
“…the new playground is for small children and has swings, see-saws, slides, playhouses, sand tables, a play area and a rectangular wading pool, which can be used as a volley ball court in spring and fall. The entire plot is encircled by a landscaped area with shade trees. Permanent concrete benches have also been installed. These areas are two more of the sites selected by the Commissioner of Parks, and acquired by condemnation after authorization by the Board of Estimate and Apportionment in 1936, to take care of the recreational needs of neglected neighborhoods. They will make a total of 246, which have been added to the Park Department’s recreational system since the beginning of the present administration.”
Although the 1937 press release does not mention which New Deal relief agencies were involved, researcher Frank da Cruz explains here that almost all New York City Parks Department projects between 1934 and 1943 were carried out with New Deal funds and/or labor, and that after April 1935, the WPA quickly became the main source of this support.
The playground was renovated in 2000.
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on November 2, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE