Exterior of WPA Berkeley County LibraryThe County's First Free-Standing Library
It served as the Berkeley County Library from 1938 to 1970. The building was moved from Library Street around the corner to 221 First Street in 1969 and continued to serve customers until the grand opening of the new library (on the site of the original library) in 1970. From 1970 to 1988, the building was used by the Berkeley County Department of Social Services. It was then sold to Robert D. Calcote, DMD, and served as one of his orthodontist offices from 1988-2020.
History of Berkeley County Library: 1934 - 1981 by Marie Harvey. Published by Berkeley County Library, 1982.
Project originally submitted by Ramona Grimsley on March 17, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE