Old aerial of former Beltsville Airport - Beltsville MD
In 1941, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted improvement work on a grass airstrip at Beltsville MD. The Washington Post reported in April that “clearing, grubbing, grading, draining, construction of runways, seeding and installation of lighting facilities” had begun.
Two hangars were slated to be constructed, as well, but probably were never built – since they were still not present at the site in 1945, according to Abandoned and Little-Known Airfields website.
In 1980, the airfield was decommissioned and bulldozed. The site is now part of the giant Henry Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Station and occupied by USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Building #580,
The old airstrip is still visible from the air.
“Beltsville Airport work begins today,” Washington Post, April 8, 1941, p. 23.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on February 24, 2015.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE