Bangor Dam Fishway
The Bangor dam “was built on the site of Treat Falls in 1875. It [was] about 1,006 feet long with 800 feet of timber crib spillway and 200 feet of concrete spillway on the easterly end. The timber spillway being 2 feet lower than the concrete spillway was fitted with flashboards. The first fish way was built around 1923 between the timber and concrete spillways. The second fish way was constructed in 1936 with the Works Progress Administration (WPA) office funds.” (www.maineatlanticsalmonmuseum.org)
The dam and the associated water works fell out of use in the 1960s and have since largely deteriorated. However, Google Images shows what appears to be the remains of a fish spillway near the river’s eastern shore.
http://www.maineatlanticsalmonmuseum.org/history-of-the-penobscot-river/ http://bangorinfo.com/Focus/focus_water_works.html http://markinmaine.wordpress.com/2012/12/09/the-demise-of-the-bangor-dam/
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on December 28, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE