Works Progress Administration (WPA) project No. 3544 started 10/05/1935 included 3 additional fire stations. WPA funding supplied $13,495.01 and the sponsor $9,513.78 for payroll, materials, and equipment. Ground was broken for the new Back Bay fire station on the north side of Elder Street between Lameuse and Reynoir Street. The Back Bay station was expected to take 90 days and cost about $5,000. It contained a one engine garage, bed room, bath, kitchen and breakfast room, with a 20 by 30 foot assembly room. The brick and concrete block building was designed in Colonial Style by architect John T. Collins. The projects were all completed by 7/19/1937. This building is no longer extant and a replacement station was constructed at the corner of Elder and Parker Street.
Biloxi WPA Work Well Under Way. (Dec 6, 1935). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 1.
Ground Broken Today for New Bay Station. (Dec 4 1936). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 9.
New Stations for Fire Department. (Dec 29, 1936). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 2.
Outline Biloxi WPA Program. (Dec 31, 1936). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 1, 7.
Efficient City Commission in Office: Here are Some Facts of WPA Projects Secured for Biloxi. (June 29, 1938). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 7.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 24, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE