The WPA, established in 1935, offered jobs to the unemployed in community development projects. The WPA projects benefited many Florida communities, and local residents were employed to work on them. By the time the program was terminated in 1943, the nationwide WP A had spent over $11 billion dollars employing over 8.5 million people, who worked on over 1.4 million different projects, including repairing and building roads, bridges, public buildings, parks, and airport landing fields. 7 Other jails in Florida took advantage of WPA funding, and Jefferson County itself initiated over 19 projects, including building three schools, a community center, athletic field, roads, and wire fences.
http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13001072.pdf See pp. 15-17
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE