Kearney State Teachers College was granted almost $10,000.00 in a WPA grant to improve its athletic facilities. The project was planned to be very “inclusive.” It included improving the current football and athletic field at the college, and leveling and grading the area to the north of the gridiron and practice field, formerly part of the “college farm.” Preliminary surveys called for the moving of much earth, and additional parking space would be among the improvements. Tennis courts and other recreational facilities would also be provided. If costs proved reasonable, the track and bleachers were possible additions to the project.
In February 1938, the WPA announced that an additional grant of $9,280.00 had been awarded for the athletic field project to allow it to be completed in time for the fall athletics season. The project was expanded to include a new athletic field, two play fields, picnic grounds, tennis courts, and a softball field. The plans called for terracing the ground surrounding the field and for planting attractive trees. The bleachers from the original field were moved to the new field, and a cindered track was laid to surround the gridiron with an extension on one curve to enable dashes in track events to finish in front of the bleachers. The track was designed to be level for use in winter for ice skating when flooded. An underground watering system was installed to keep the field well watered and prevent air borne dust. The main entrance to the athletic field was built as a National Youth Administration project, and was modernistic in design to mimic Men’s Hall. Four tennis courts were planned, two of concrete and two of clay, with croquet and horse shoe pitches beyond.
Kearney Daily Hub, 7 August 1937. Kearney Daily Hub, 31 August 1937. Kearney Daily Hub, 28 February 1938.
Project originally submitted by Jill Dolberg on September 18, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE