Trotter Convention Center - former armory
The city of Columbus approved a bond issue to construct the city’s portion of a Works Progress Administration (WPA) financed armory. The architect was R. T. Smith. Columbus purchased a site for the new armory and civic center in the business district. By summer of 1941, the armory was under construction. The Works Progress Administration supplied $45,000 toward the $65,000 building. The armory was a 4-story Art Deco building completed 1041-1942. It has been in use as a convention center since 1987.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory, (former) National Guard Armory (Columbus City Auditorium). Retrieved July 16 from:
Columbus Votes Bonds for Armory. (Dec 7, 1939). The Delta Democrat-Times, p. 1.
Columbus Hires Armory Architect. ( Feb 9, 1940). The Delta Democrat-Times, p. 1.
Site Bought for Armory. (Mar 25, 1940). Clarion-Ledger, p. 6.
Passing Troops Enjoy Mississippi Hospitality. (Aug 9, 1941). Hattiesburg American, p. 8.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on July 16, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE