Argos Izaak Walton League Historic District Clubhouse
“This building of glacial stone and the surrounding 17 acres of fishing ponds and structures are a tribute to natural aesthetics, an idea important to the League who made this building their clubhouse. The Argos Izaak Walton League was established in 1929 in response to concern for the conservation of natural resources, fish and wildlife locally. This historic district and the club reflect the young conversation movement in the United States…
The Clubhouse was constructed as a New Deal project between 1935 and 1937 with glacial stones in the Craftsman style. The League members chose the building materials – native field stone. Both the clubhouse and the storage building are contributing features to the historic district. The seven contributing structures on sites are stone gateway, two artesian wells, three stone picnic tables/benches, and a sluice, all dating to the New Deal construction period.” (http://www.nps.gov)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on December 16, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE