Appalachian State University, then known as Appalachian State Teachers College (A.S.T.C), was substantially improved and developed as part of infrastructure and building construction projects on the institution’s campus. Numerous New Deal organizations, including the Civil Works Administration (CWA), Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA), Works Progress Administration (WPA), and Public Works Administration (PWA), provided labor or funding for the numerous projects undertaken at A.S.T.C. during the Great Depression.
At A.S.T.C the CWA: conducted landscaping work; provided office help and laborers; repaired buildings; and installed a chlorinator (presumably for a pool). The FERA: constructed a gymnasium and a library; repaired a basement at an unspecified facility; and constructed a hospital building (now Founders Hall). The WPA constructed faculty residences, dorms, sidewalks, and roads. The PWA provided funding for power and heating facility improvements, as well as a grant for the construction of a science building, now known as Smith-Wright Hall.
Emergency Relief in North Carolina. A Record of the Development and the Activities of the North Carolina Emergency Relief Administration, 1932-1935. North Carolina Emergency Relief Commission, State administrator, Mrs. Thomas O'Berry (pp. 531-2): https://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/emergencyrelief/emergencyrelief.html (accessed Jun. 22, 2022)
"Boondoggling Boomerangs and Blesses," The News and Observer, Raleigh, North Carolina, June 04, 1939 (pg. 11): https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/651562494/
https://collections.library.appstate.edu/collections/university-archives-records-management-services/timelines (accessed Jun. 22, 2022)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on June 22, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE