Ordway Hall at Amarillo College was constructed as a New Deal project. Sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), it was the Public Works Administration (PWA) that provided a $73,116 grant for the project, whose total cost was $162,547. Construction occurred between 1936 and 1937.
P.W.A. Docket No. Tex. [W]1499
“Architect Guy Carlander designed this administration building for Amarillo College. It was built in 1936-37 and later named for George Ordway, who with James Guleke obtained legislative authority to establish the school; Ordway later became the first president. The L-plan building consists of an auditorium and a two-story classroom and office wing with 19 bays terminating in a four-story tower. Geometric Art Deco style elements such as chevrons, flutes and parallel bands accent the buff brick and cast stone exterior. Sculpted terra cotta panels on the corners depict gnomes reading and writing. Interior materials include buff and red brick walls and terrazzo floors with diamond and mosaic patterns. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-2008”
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 185.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on February 20, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE