Adams Field, also since known as Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport, was first constructed during the early 20th century. The federal Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) assisted with the airport’s development. The W.P.A.’s Division of Operations wrote:
This project is unusually interesting because of its history. The hangar was originally constructed by TWA in Waynoka, Okla. This stopping point was done away with by TWA. The City of Little Rock negotiated for its purchase, dismantled it and shipped the material to Little Rock where the Works Progress Administration constructed it. Prior to this the airport had no hangar and sometimes, during high wind, pilots were forced to “hitch” their planes to fences around the field.
The exact location and current status of the hangar are presently unknown to Living New Deal.
National Archives: Record Group 69; Entry 755: "Best Project Reports, 1940."
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on June 27, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE