169th Street Subway Station
The Queens Branch of New York City’s Independent Subway was extended during the 1930s with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The first extension was completed in 1936. On April 21, 1937, four new subway stations opened in Jamaica, including the 169th Street station that presently serves F train.
Completion of this subway branch, The New York Times reported, “will add four new stations to the line and mark the beginning of express service on a rush-hour basis. …
The new link of the Queens line from Kew Gardens to 169th Street cost about $14,400,000 this figure including the cost of structure, tracks, equipment, real estate, supervision and interest. The section is one of the parts of the city subway system constructed with the aid of a PWA loan and grant.”
"Jamaica Subway to Open April 24"; The New York Times, April 10, 1937.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 26, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE