Carlos Avery Game Farm – Forest Lake MN

In 1936 the WPA developed the area of Carlos Avery Game Farm, now the Carlos Avery Wildlife Management Area, and constructed several buildings on the site. From the National Register of Historic Places nomination: Located within the 23,000 acre Carlos… read more

Lincoln State Park – Lincoln City IN

Lincoln State Park was occupied by three New Deal agencies from 1933-1942. The first agency to occupy Lincoln Park was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The CCC Company 1543 was active in Lincoln State Park from 1933-1934. The CCC laborers… read more

Pachaug State Forest – Voluntown CT

Pachaug State Forest is the largest forest in Connecticut. After the land was acquired by the state, “Laborers from New Deal programs such as the … Civilian Conservation Corps then turned these newly acquired lands into usable open space …” The… read more

Sequiota Park – Springfield MO

WPA work on the park included “cleaning out the lake, building 3,000 feet of rubble masonry retaining walls, one foot bridge, repairs to fish hatchery, four new growing pools, repairs to superintendent’s residence, a new garage, five tourist cabins, construction… read more

Shakamak State Park – Jasonville IN

Shakamak is an attractive site today, but in 1930 when it opened as a state park, much of the parcel was a wasteland of abandoned strip mines. Shakamak State Park entered a new phase of development during the Great Depression…. read more