“The Rex Activity Center is one of twelve buildings designated to Alamosa’s Historic Registry… Designed by architect William Bowman and constructed in 1938-39 as a Public Works Administration project, Rex Gym is one of the oldest buildings on campus and… read more
Pennsylvania State University’s Ag[ricultural] Engineering building was one of a dozen buildings constructed on the campus during the Great Depression as part of a massive construction project enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The building is still in use… read more
From The Fur Farms of Alaska: Two Centuries of History and a Forgotten Stampede: “In 1937, the legislature responded by appropriating $20,000 to establish an experimental fur station near Petersburg on land to be selected by a committee of three—… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built dormitories for the Alabama Polytechnic Institute (Auburn University).
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built an Outdoor Amphitheater for the Alabama Polytechnic Institute (Auburn University). The amphitheater was built for the Agricultural Training camp. Granite cobblestones retrieved after the WPA paved the streets of Montgomery were used for the… read more
The Oakland Chapel Greek Revival style building constructed 1840-1851 was completely renovated through support from the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and state legislated funds that made repairs and improvements to 20 state institutions 1934-1935. Then known as Alcorn A &… read more
Ordway Hall at Amarillo College was constructed as a New Deal project. Sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), it was the Public Works Administration (PWA) that provided a $73,116 grant for the project, whose total cost was $162,547. Construction occurred between… read more
The Russell Gymnasium at Amarillo College in Amarillo, Texas was undertaken with the assistance of funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA) during the Great Depression. Text From the state historical marker reads: “The administration building and the gymnasium… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of several new facilities at the Arizona State Teachers College in Tempe – today’s Arizona State University. The New Deal improved many college campuses, including the University of Arizona in Tucson and Phoenix… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction a cafeteria building at the Arizona State Teachers College in Tempe (today the Arizona State University). The exact location of the cafeteria and its fate are unknown to the Living New Deal…. read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the central heating plant at the Arizona State Teachers College in Tempe (today the Arizona State University). The site was cleared in 2019 for a large hotel-retail complex.
In 1940, the Works Program Administration (WPA) constructed the dormitory complex called Irish Hall on the south side of the campus of what was then the Arizona State Normal School, now Arizona State University. Irish Hall consists of three separate… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the old Matthews library building at the Arizona State Teachers College in Tempe. It presently serves as the Matthews Center on the campus of today’s Arizona State University. The building is… read more
The Moeur Building was built in 1939 by the Works Projects Administration (WPA). It is the only adobe building on campus and the design is Southwest (Pueblo) Revival. The exterior is intact and well maintained, and there is a WPA… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the West Hall, a girls’ dormitory at the Arizona State Teachers College in Tempe (today the Arizona State University). “Built as the last of four dormitories that created the quadrangle, a… read more
Constructed in 1939, the Science Building of Arkansas State College (now the Business Building of Arkansas State University), was one of multiple New Deal projects on the college campus. In 1936, Arkansas State College added a Reserve Officers Training Corps…. read more
Kearney State Teachers College was granted almost $10,000.00 in a WPA grant to improve its athletic facilities. The project was planned to be very “inclusive.” It included improving the current football and athletic field at the college, and leveling and… read more
In 1939, the federal Work Progress Administration (WPA) worked to develop Austin Cary Forest, a UCF facility used for “the purposes of academic teaching, research, extension education, and demonstration“. The WPA “built roads, buildings, and water draining ditches. And 100,000… read more
Texas Woman University’s original Austin Hall was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. “Named after Texas hero Stephen F. Austin, the hall was constructed in 1936-37 on the site of the original “dorm row.”” The building is since… read more
B. N. Duke Auditorium at North Carolina Central University, a historically black college, was constructed as part of a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the Great Depression. The building is located on the east side of Fayetteville Road just… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to construct a athletic field at Baltimore City College. Maryland WPA Project #15.
Bardo Gymnasium, now a part of the Pennsylvania College of Technology, was originally built as part of Williamsport High School. Sometimes mis-attributed to the WPA, the gym was constructed in 1936-7 with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA)… read more
Barnes Hall on the campus of Central Michigan University was constructed during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $119,250 grant. Construction occurred between October 1938 and 1939. “Barnes Hall started… read more
Benjamin Allen Hall is named after an early 20th Century Lincoln University president and was built as a dormitory by the PWA in 1936. It served as housing for black legislators who could not find rooms at hotels in Jefferson… read more
This large 3 story brick building overlooks the east side of the Lincoln University campus and was “named in honor of Private Logan Bennett of the 65th U.S. Colored Infantry, who contributed money for Lincoln’s founding.” It was built in… read more
The Marie Heineke Memorial Gymnasium was built in 1938-40 by Blinn College and the Work Projects Administration.
Then known as the Bloomsburg State Teachers College, Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania benefited during the Great Depression from a large construction project enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $184,604 grant for the project, whose final cost… read more
Brackenridge Hall was completed in 1916. A fourth floor was constructed during the 1930s with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The building, since demolished, has since been replaced by the Brackenridge Student Union.
The WPA completed this law school building in 1938-39 when it was known simply as the University of Louisville Law School. The project submitter reports that the building’s WPA heritage is locally known, and is also referenced in a letter… read more
The stone wall at Brevard College in Brevard, North Carolina, was erected by the Works Progress Administration in 1936-37. Portions run along French Broad Avenue and North Broad Street. At the intersection of the streets, the walls are connected with… read more