Boylan Hall is one of the original buildings on the Brooklyn College campus, serving originally as the Administrative and Academic Building. It was constructed as part of a massive federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project undertaken during the Great Depression.
The buildings of Brooklyn College were financed by a massive federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project undertaken during the Great Depression. After the buildings were constructed, Works Progress Administration (WPA) laborers worked on improving the campus, primarily through landscaping efforts, beginning in 1938…. read more
The Brooklyn College Library is one of the original buildings on the campus, part of a massive federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project undertaken in 1935-37. Construction on the library building began in 1936. The library houses WPA murals by Olindo Mario… read more
Roosevelt Hall is one of the five original buildings on the Brooklyn College campus, then serving as the school’s gymnasium. It was built as part of a massive federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project undertaken during the Great Depression, 1935-37. Construction took place ca. 1936.
Pennsylvania State University’s Burrowes Building was one of a dozen buildings constructed on the campus during the Great Depression as part of a massive construction project enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The building, which has since been added… read more
“The federal government’s New Deal programs, specifically the Works Progress Administration and the Public Works Administration, also played a direct role in Rock Hill’s economic recovery. Building projects included … Byrnes Auditorium on Winthrop’s campus.” (sc.gov) “While a U.S. senator,… read more
The former Camarillo State Hospital for the Insane was closed in 1997 and became the CSU-Channel Islands campus. The old hospital was begun in the early 1930s, but when the Roosevelt Administration came into office, the Public Works Administration (PWA)… read more
Located in the small town of California, Pennsylvania, “Cal U” is a public university that was founded in 1852. The main campus consists of 38 buildings situated on 92 acres of land. Then known as the State Teachers College, California University… read more
Works Progress Administration Project 41,187 was approved for improvements to campus streets and the athletic field at Pearl River Junior College. The allotment was $31,335 and the sponsor’s fund was $14,582. The Coast Engineering Co., prepared plans for the project,… read more
In 1933-4 federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) “workers in Pittsburgh had helped move the forty-two-story Cathedral of Learning at the heart of the University of Pittsburgh closer to completion.”
Originally constructed as a training school, what is now the Center for Hospitality Management at East Stroudsburg University was one of four buildings constructed as a New Deal project. Work was sponsored by the Public Works Administration (PWA).
The first building on this campus was opened as part of the Chaffey College of Agriculture in 1885. It became the Ontario High School in 1901 and the present Chaffey High School in 1911. In 1916, the Chaffey Junior College… read more
The University of North Texas’s Chilton Hall was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The P.W.A. provided roughly $209,000 for the construction of it and Terrill Hall. “Chilton Hall was the first dormitory to be built to house… read more
Then known as Clarion State Teachers College, Clarion University benefited during the Great Depression from a large construction project enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $120,278 grant for the project, whose final cost was $338,391. Construction… read more
School foundation, from 1934, remounts in a celery now adjacent to I-65. On one consorts foundation a more rebuilt picnic shelter has been erected (Gabbled, open-sited). Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 513 OCCUPIED CAMP S-51 in May 1933, along with… read more
On 27 October 1937, the Radcliffe-King House was pulled down for the new College of Charleston Student Activities Building/Gymnasium building. The new building was funded by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works, and was designed by Simons & Lapham, a… read more
“Designed by two important Colorado architects, Frank W. Frewen and Earl C. Morris, the 1939 building, with its 1957 addition, has a long association with Dr. I. E. Newsom and agricultural education at the college. From its construction in 1939… read more
“The construction of this building was originally started under the California State Relief Administration Program and brought to completion under the WPA. Total cost $24,578; Federal contribution, $8,345.” http://newdeal.feri.org/search_details.cfm?link=http://newdeal.feri.org/library/f55a.htm
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of women’s dormitories for the Concord University (Concord State Teachers College) in Athens. Project W. Va.-1058-R. Today the building is still in service as a residence hall an operates as Sarvay Hall.
A 1985 Oklahoma Landmarks Survey of WPA buildings documents a 1936 Administration Building built for Connors State College. The structure is faced with Oklahoma red sandstone as are many Oklahoma WPA projects. The survey describes the structure: “The Connor’s State College… read more
The Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (a.k.a. Public Works Administration) provided funding toward the construction of Russell Hall at Connors State College in Warner, Oklahoma. The 2-story structure houses a dormitory and is designed in Georgian Style. It is located… read more
The Works Progress Administration provided employment for workers to construct an athletic field at the Copiah-Lincoln Junior College.
The National Youth Administration (NYA) project provided work for boys to construct a brick field house to house visiting athletic teams, football lockers and showers, stock rooms and athletic offices. The one story structure was located east of the tennis… read more
Public Works Administration (PWA) project W1178 constructed the Faculty House (now used as the Girls Honor Dormitory), and the Chapel Building (now known as J. M. Ewing Administration Building), for Copiah-Lincoln Junior College, known locally as Co-Lin. A $36,000 grant… read more
Public Works Administration (PWA) project W1178 constructed the Chapel Building (now known as J. M. Ewing Administration Building) and the Faculty House (now used as the Girls Honor Dormitory) for Copiah-Lincoln Junior College, known locally as Co-Lin. A $36,000 grant… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve Cornell University in Ithaca, New York during the 1930s. One project, which cost $5,397 (of which the WPA acontributed $2,321) was described by the WPA in its project rolls: “[P]rovide for added… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve the grounds of the Veterinary College of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York during the 1930s. The school was then located at “its original site at the southeast corner of East Avenue… read more
Multiple New Deal-supported construction projects were undertaken on the campus of South Carolina State University during the Great Depression. “[T]his large two-story brick building was designed by Professors Paul V. Jewell and John H. Blanche. Financed by the Work Projects… read more
Crowder Hall is another of the “White Campus” projects and was and is the home to the University ROTC program. It was named after Enoch Crowder, Professor of Military Science at MU.
Davis College, a building on the University of South Carolina campus in Columbia, South Carolina, presently houses the school’s College of Library and Information Science. The building was improved with New Deal funds. The school’s building history page states: “In… read more
The WPA conducted improvements, including a sewage disposal plant, at the State Negro College, which was established in 1921. From the Delaware Public Archives: “On June 17, 1921, the Board of Trustees of the State College for colored students, later… read more
Federal aid from the Emergency Relief Administration to match $200,000 appropriated by Mississippi legislature was awarded to repair and improve the six state universities and colleges. Delta State Teachers College received $15,595.20 for dormitory renovations, auditorium repairs, and painting other… read more