In addition to a New Deal mural by Hilton Leech, the building contains a cast-aluminum sculpture “The Mail Carrier” by Leopold Scholz. It was installed in 1938 under the auspices of the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
Redwood carving by Remo Scardigli depicting Father Juniperro Serra. The latter’s remains are buried at the foot of the alter of the Mission San Carlos Borromeo De Carmel on Rio Rd. The sculpture is located on the east side of… read more
“The lava rock terracing at Kawananakoa School (1934), as well as the fountain featuring bas reliefs by Margarite Blasingame, resulted from the continuation of a number of the CWA’s projects by FERA.” Blasingame was an American sculptor born in Honolulu… read more
While the overall design of the Department of Justice building conforms with the dominant Neoclassical theme of the Federal Triangle, it is distinguished by Art Deco architectural elements and the use of aluminum details. The entrances feature 20-foot-high aluminum doors… read more
Jo Mora created the cement bas relief, entitled “Theater Through the Ages,” in 1937 for the exterior of the school auditorium then under construction. The sculpture was funded by the WPA Federal Art Project. He also created a 2′ by… read more
As part of the New Deal reconstruction of Mission La Purisima, the Federal Arts Project (FAP) of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was asked to send in professional painters to finish the interior of the buildings. In 1938, FAP artists… read more
As part of the New Deal reconstruction of Mission La Purisima, Helen Seegert created a concrete fountain at the east end of the complex in 1936. It was paid for by the Federal Arts Project (FAP) of the Works Progress… read more
Among several other New Deal projects at the Lane Tech High School are these carved mahogany bas-reliefs in the school library. These 15′ x 6′ reliefs were carved by sculptor Peter Paul Ott, with assistance from wood workers Conzelman, Meuzenmeier,… read more
Langston Terrace Dwellings, opened in 1938, was the first U.S. Government funded public housing project in Washington and the second in the nation. Initial funding came from the Public Works Administration (PWA); later the U.S. Housing Authority stepped in to… read more
Marguerite Louis Blasingame completed this “pair of low-relief marble tablets of a Hawaiian couple set into a wall” (source note 1) in 1935 for the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Entitled, “Hawaiian Couple,” it is located in the Banyan Court gardens… read more
The doors at the main (west) entrance and side (south) entrances to the John Adams Building of the Library of Congress are magnificent cast bronze works by sculptor Lee Lawrie. Lawrie was probably America’s foremost architectural sculptor of the time,… read more
This carving, entitled “The Wild Beasts,” hangs in the library of Lincoln Elementary School. It was designed by Andrene Kauffman and carved from oak by C. Svec.
With funding from the WPA Federal Art Project, Andrene Kauffman created two 4′ x 7′ wooden reliefs for the Lincoln Elementary School: “Monkeys” and “Children in Fruit Trees.”
This relief “Organ Grinder” by Louise Pain was completed with WPA Federal Art Project funds.
David Swanson completed this 3.5′ x 9′ wood carving, entitled “Indians and Father Lasuen,” in 1936 with funds provided by the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project. It is viewable in the second floor club room, above the fireplace, in… read more
This limestone statue “Law” depicting a young woman with a tablet stands across the lobby from James Hansen’s “Young Lincoln.” The information plaque near the sculpture reads: “The Fine Arts Section of the U.S. Department of the Treasury commissioned this… read more
This limestone sculpture “Young Lincoln” by James Hansen depicts a young, shirtless, pensive Lincoln holding a book. It stands across the lobby from Garner’s sculpture of “Law.” The information plaque describes the statue: “The Fine Arts Section of the U.S…. read more
These cast stone eagle facades decorating the outside of the courthouse were carved by Henry Lion in 1938 with support from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
This frieze by Bartolo Mako stands over the school's entrance and depicts a scene of the early Quakers who founded the city of Whittier more than one hundred years ago.
The exterior of the Madison Square Station post office sports five bronze reliefs above its main entrance (on 23rd St.) known, collectively, as “Communication.” Three were cast by Edmond R. Amateis and two by Louis Slobodkin in 1937, with funding from… read more
Beniamino Bufano created two sculptures for the Maritime Museum in 1942 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. “Seal” is a red granite sculpture, and “Animal” a black one.
This 4' high cast stone sculpture "Storybook Land" of two children reading was funded by the WPA-FAP and created by sculptor Stefan De Vriedt in 1936. It is located in the inner courtyard.
Works Progress Administration (WPA) records in the National Archives report that the WPA constructed a recreation building at the McMillan Playground in northwest DC and that New Deal wood carvings were installed inside. The building opened in 1938. The playground… read more
“The Mennonite Settler is a 17-foot limestone statue in Newton, Kansas, honoring Mennonite farmers and their wheat heritage. The statue was crafted in 1942 by Topeka artist Max Nixon out of native Kansas limestone. It depicts a bearded Mennonite farmer… read more
“Created through the WPA/FAP programs and a gift from the Class of 1938, this limestone marker” at MSU’s Abbot Road entrance “welcomes visitors and students to the MSU campus, then known as Michigan State College. The classical column, reinterpreted in… read more
“Samuel Cashwan, supervisor of the Michigan Sculpture Program for the WPA, designed the Art Deco limestone reliefs framing the southwest entrance. They depict images of dance and performance, such as children dancing to the beat of drums.” Also featured on… read more
Samuel Cashwan completed this cast concrete sculpture, entitled “Three Musicians,” in 1940, with funding from the WPA Federal Art Program. From the Kresge Art Museum New Deal Walking Tour website: “The Three Musicians is all that remains of a pair… read more
“This PWA building by architect Ralph R. Calder, built in memory of Richard M. Olin, M.D., was considered “modern in every detail.” Although additions to the building were made in 1956 and 1969, the bulky massing, textural variety, and minimalist… read more
This glazed terracotta sculpture, titled Children Reading, is located at the Michigan Avenue entrance to Sarah Langdon Williams Hall. “This small yet vibrant glazed terracotta sculpture and fish head fountain spout are part of a garden wall that leads to… read more
The building contains six bas reliefs by WPA artist Joan van Breeman: “The six bas reliefs in the back rooms were made by Joan van Breeman and depict children at play. Girls on swings or spinning globes, young men charging… read more
With the help of FAP funds, Jo Mora completed a number of decorative bas relief plaques for the Monterey County Courthouse.
Jo Mora produced twenty three different cast-concrete portraits (approximately 12″ x 18″ in size) for the Monterey County Courthouse, including a Spanish woman, an Asian woman, an Indian man and woman, John Fremont, Junipero Serra, and various pioneers.