In addition to the Barnum Hall Theater, several other WAP-FAP art projects dot the high school campus, including a 7′ high cast stone sculpture titled “The Viking” that stands on the patio between the Art and History buildings. The sculpture… read more
This 4′ x 3′ cast stone relief entitled “Comedy, Tragedy, Music” was produced by Olinka Hrdy in 1937 with FAP funds.
Hans E. Prehn created this plaster sculpture “Saw Mill,” financed by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts, for the old post office. It was moved to the Cotton Museum in the early 2000’s and is not viewable in the front… read more
This WPA bas-relief “CCC Workers” was carved for the school by Donal Hord in 1933. It shows CCC workers engaged in a variety of activities. The relief adorns the south entrance of the school auditorium. It has recently been restored… read more
"[Sargent Johnson's] group of animals of cast terrazzo (a camel, burro, grasshopper, duck, hippopotamus and elephant), each approximately 26 inches long, 24 inches high and 12 inches wide, and variously colored coral, green and gray, were placed in the Child… read more
The carving of the Swinomish Totem Pole was a WPA project on the Swinomish Indian Reservation from 1937-1938. Tribal member Charlie Edwards carved a 61’ log into a visual representation of traditional teachings and guiding spirits that had formerly been… read more
The Mary E. Switzer Building was originally built for the Railroad Retirement Board in 1940. The building was constructed in conjunction with the original Social Security headquarters, now the Wilbur J. Cohen building. The two stand across C street from… read more
This bas relief “Cotton and Tobacco” by Paul Rudin was completed with the help of Treasury Section of Fine Arts funds in 1939. The Daily Record Newspaper office was previously the town’s post office.
This sculptor by Djey el Djey entitled “The Vanquished Race” (also referred to as the “The Vanishing Race” was commissioned by the WPA’s Fine Arts Program in 1936. Master sculptor Lorado Taft lauded sculptor Djey el Djey, saying, “I will… read more
The Clan House is a replica of a community house representative of houses built in the early nineteen-century native villages of Southeast Alaska. It served as the chieftain’s dwelling and it also housed several families part of his clan. The… read more
The State Department was originally built for the War Department in 1940-41 and has been known since 2000 as the Harry S. Truman Federal Building. It is home to three sculptures commissioned for the original War Department building. •An eagle… read more
The Tumacácori National Monument was set aside by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1908 to protect the ruins of the Mission of San Jose de Tumacacori. In 1918, it came under the administration of the National Park Service and its regional… read more
This walnut relief “Joy of Life” by Michael von Meyer depicting a mother and child was completed in 1937 with FAP funds.
The Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior building contains one of the largest collections of New Deal art in Washington DC, by some of the finest American artists of the time. Boris Gilbertson created two bas-reliefs for the building,… read more
The Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior building contains one of the largest collections of New Deal art in Washington DC, by some of the finest American artists of the time. Two large bas-relief panels are mounted on either… read more
This 1′ x 3.5′ cast-concrete sculpture of an owl was produced with the help of the WPA Federal Art Project. The artist is unknown.
Bartholume Mako created two artworks for the auditorium foyer of Ventura High School in Ventura CA. One is a 12-foot high plaster sculpture titled “Roman Goddess” and the other is a 15 x 6-foot plaster frieze called “Roman Scene.” They… read more
The school grounds contain a small New Deal sculpture by Hugo Robus entitled “Girl Weeding.” It was made in 1938, probably under the auspices of the Federal Arts Project of the WPA.
The Woodminster Amphitheater design is Art Deco (Moderne) by Edward Foulkes. This is especially clear in the appearance of the south facade, which looms over the cascade and the rest of the park (though now somewhat shrouded by untrimmed trees)…. read more
“On Mackinac Island, several WPA engravers created incredibly detailed, two-sided oak signs showing scenes of the island’s heritage.” Hand-carved, many were created for placement outside the island’s historic buildings. After decades of decay, Carpenter Dale Gensman rescued seven signs from disposal… read more