1 2 3 4 5 6
  • Field Experiment Station (former) - Meridian MS
    The station was begun in the 1931 as a fruit and vegetable research station. From 1933-1935, the site was expanded and new buildings constructed. The buildings were built by Public Works Administration from 1933 to 1935 with an allotment of $96,350. Funds were provided by Public Works under the National Industrial Recovery Act. The purpose of the allotment was fruit and vegetable disease research and auxiliary buildings devoted to sugar cane research. The Administration Office and Laboratory were built in 1933. After a new two-story brick and stucco administration building and laboratory was constructed 1935, the first administration office was...
  • Fire Station No. 5 - Charleston WV
    The Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (Public Works Administration) provided funding for the construction of Fire Station No. 5 in Charleston, West Virginia. This is one of several fire stations built in the City of Charleston under the New Deal. Station No. 5 is located on the northeast corner of Bridge Road and Walnut Road in the Bridge Road Neighborhood near the Bridge Road Shops in South Hills, Charleston, West Virginia.
  • Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University: McGuinn Hall - Tallahassee FL
    McGuinn Hall was a Colonial Revival style men’s dormitory constructed in 1938 on the campus of Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU), a historically black college founded in Tallahassee, Florida in 1887. A dedication plaque on the wall of McGuinn Hall indicates that it was constructed as a Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works project, number FLA 1092-6-DS. The architect was Rudolph Weaver, F.A.I.A., who served as dean of the University of Florida’s College of Architecture from 1925 until 1944. He designed a number of dormitories for the University of Florida as well as Florida State University. The latter included...
  • Forest Hill School Complex - Jackson MS
    The Public Works Administration W1183 funded constructing for new buildings and improvements for five Hinds County schools in 1938-1939. Forest Hill School used funds to construct a vocational building, auditorium, gymnasium, and home for the vocational teacher. They used a $24,000 bond issue to supplement the PWA funding for a loan of 151,986 toward estimated cost of all 5 schools of $337,746, approved 6/22/1938. Bids were advertised October 1938; first contract awarded 11/10/38; construction began 11/14/1938; and was completed 12/4/1939 for a total of 322,153. The school was demolished in 1987.
  • Franklin Academy Elementary School - Columbus MS
    The Franklin Academy Elementary School was constructed on the site of the state's oldest public school, Franklin Academy. PWA project x1306 approved a grant of $117,000 9/26/1938. Construction began 12/1/1938 and was completed 12/1/1939 for a total cost of $260,154. Architect R. W. Naef designed the 2 1/2 story brick Colonial Revival building constructed by Daniel Construction Company. The building featured a "two-story pedimented portico supported on continuious Tuscan columns, rusticated brick quoins, and square central tower with octagonal cupola" (P'Pool, 1979, p. 17). The building remains in use as a school.
  • Frederick Douglass School Addition - Columbia MO
    The original part of this building dates to 1916, with the two sections flanking the central building being built in 1935.  Small, recent additions are at the north and south of the building.  This was a traditionally black school until integration of the Columbia Public Schools.  It is adjacent to the swimming pool in Douglass Park, a WPA project completed in about 1937.
  • Fulton High School - Fulton MO
    Presently a middle school, the Fulton High School building was constructed by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works in  1938. An addition to the building was completed at a later date with the high school moving to the newer part of the building.
  • Fulton State Hospital - Fulton MO
    The Fulton State Hospital was the first mental health facility west of the Mississippi, opening originally in 1851. During the 1930s, an extensive building program transformed the hospital.  The building projects included: An addition to the clinic building, a power plant, dining and kitchen buildings, a five story hospital building, and two buildings associated with the Missouri penal system. Interestingly, all of the buildings are interconnected by underground tunnels.
  • Garberville Public School - Garberville CA
    The Garberville School was built by Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works in 1939. Used as public school, and later School district administrative offices, performance space, The Osprey Learning center, and a teen center, the building was in decay, and was declared surplus by the School Board. In 2009 the College of the Redwoods purchased & rehabilitated most of the building as a satellite instructional site. In 2013 a non-profit organization The Redwood Playhouse leased and refurbished the former gymnasium and assembly hall as a performing arts theatre space that has hosted Dance, Music & Theatre Performance, Recitals & Rehearsals, Film Festivals,...
  • Garfield Elementary School - Selma CA
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) constructed this Art Deco style building in the small town of Selma. The bronze plaque specifies that was project No. Calif. 1493-1-DS. The architect, W. D. Coates, also designed the Reedley Junior College for the PWA.
  • Gas Mains - Canton MS
    Gas mains were installed and lines extended with PWA project 3708. Construction started Oct. 30, 1934 and was completed Jul. 30, 1935 for a total cost of $185,243.
  • Glendale School - Glen MS
    Public Works Administration project 1083 funded the construction of the Glendale School in Alcorn County Mississippi. A loan of $8,500 and grant of $6,954 was approved 9/25/1935. Construction started 2/10/1936 and was completed 1/18/1937 for a total of $15,581. The newspaper accounts identify approval for a school building and annex.
  • Grade School (demolished) Improvements - Boone NC
    A grade school facility for Boone, NC at the corner of what was then the intersection of Locust Street and College Street was improved by the efforts of the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA). The CWA re-graded the school playground; worked on the flooring; and remodeled the school lunch room. The FERA completed the school gymnasium. The building has since been demolished.
  • Grammar School - Knox City TX
    One story beige brick building. Plaque: KNOX CITY GRAMMAR SCHOOL FEDERAL EMERGENCY ADMINISTRATION OF PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT NO. 1339-R "S.W.T.T.C. Project is Given Approval Fort Worth March 10 Plans and specifications on five PWA projects were approved Tuesday in state PWA offices, and bid opening dates are Knox School, March 30....." "Dr. J.D. Sandefer, president of Hardin-Simmons University, was the principal speaker at the dedication program for the new Knox City grammar school gymnasium and auditorium tonight."
  • Greenwood School - Kirksville MO
    The school was named after James Greenwood, a noted educator  in Missouri in the 1800’s.
  • Gymnasium - Cleveland MS
    The gymnasium was constructed 1938-1939 as Public Works Administration project W1232. Architect E. L. Malvaney designed the gymnasium with a seating capacity of 1000, offices for athletic officials, dressing rooms, and a band hall on the second floor. It was converted to use as the Girls' gymnasium when a new one was constructed 1946 for boys. A grant of $16,930 was provided toward the total cost of $37,827. The project was approved 6/22/38, started 9/33/38, and completed 4/17/39. The building was demolished July 2019.
  • Gymnasium - Sitka AK
    Peter Kostrometinoff was the supervisor of construction for the new Sitka gymnasium and Ross Gridley was the state Public Works Administration (PWA) inspector engineer for project W1004. The community was awarded a $12,500 grant towards the $27,000 cost approved 10/20/1936. Construction began 2/25/1937 and was completed 9/2/1937 for a total cost of $29,179. Peterman Construction Company of Juneau won the contract for the new gymnasium with a bid of $28,200. The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported Sitka also received a loan of $14,850 toward the gymnasium, but that does not appear in the official PWA report. The current status and exact...
  • Gymnasium (former) - Como MS
    The Como gymnasium, recreation hall, two classrooms, and kitchen were PWA project W1256, approved June 22, 1938. The estimated cost was $22,727 and a $10,227 grant was awarded toward the project. Construction began August 25, 1938, and was completed February 2, 1939, at a final cost of $22,887. Architect was Edgar Lucien Malvaney.
  • Gymnasium (former) - Meridian MS
    The two-story red-brick former gymnasium was constructed by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (later the PWA) in 1936-1937. It retains its original massing and pedimented parapet. It was renovated in 1964 to become a first floor library and second floor science laboratories/classroom space.
  • Gymnasium (former) - Pelahatchie MS
    The Art Moderne gymnasium designed by architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town was completed June 19, 1939. The project was approved as PWA x1310 9/13/1938 for a $15,000 loan and $12,272 grant. Construction began 11/30/1938 and completed for a total cost of $27,500. The building is in use by private enterprise.
  • Gymnasium and Vocational Building - Inverness MS
    A Public Works Administration (W1003) loan ($15,000) and grant ($12,641) were approved August 5, 1935 to construct a gymnasium and three vocational classrooms at the Inverness high school which had been built in 1922. A bond election was held to finance the remainder and the Hattiesburg American reported it was approved in October 1935. Construction began on October 24, 1935 and was completed on April 14, 1936. The school building was sold following federally-ordered integration and was operated as the private Central Delta Academy until it closed in 2010. The church that had owned and operated the private school proceeded...
  • Gymnasium-Auditorium - Carson MS
    The Art Deco structure was completed in summer of 1936 and opened for the school year Sep. 7, 1936. The opening program was held in the newly completed building. “With its additional school rooms as well as its splendid gymnasium and auditorium, it will add much to the efficiency with which the school program can be carried on this year and the years to come” (Carson School slates opening, 1936, p. 9). The gymnasium was PWA project W1013, approved 9/25/1935. Construction started 12/26/1935, and completed 7/8/1936 for a total cost of $27,235. Fire destroyed the unused structure in March 2019.
  • Gymnasium, Athletic Field, and Swimming Pool - Fernwood MS
    The Public Works Administration (project W1154) constructed the gymnasium, athletic field, and swimming pool for the Fernwood school. The project was approved on 11/14/1935 with a loan of $16,000 and grant of $13,090. Bids were advertised in November for the gymnasium construction, swimming pool and bath house, "to be constructed under the old PWA plan" (p.1). Contract was awarded 12/16/1935 and construction began 1/22/1936. The project was completed 9/25/1937.
  • High School - Hazlehurst MS
    The former Hazlehurst grammar school was PWA project W1077. The project was approved 9/25/1935 and completed 11/10/1936 for a total cost of $50,004. PWA supplied a $27,500 loan and a $22,457 grant. The school was enlarged in 1947, and currently serves as the high school. Work on clearing the lot began January 1936. Contractor was J. R. Flint and architect was E. L. Malvaney.
  • High School - Ruleville MS
    Ruleville's 1936 high school was completed as W1006 of the PWA program, with a $33,000 loan and $26,999 grant. The 2-story brick and tile school was approved September 25, 1935, and construction began in December. Architect E. L. Malvaney designed the 160x53 foot building with an 80x60 foot auditorium. It contained 18 classrooms. O. B. Douglass Construction Company received the bid for construction, Paine Heating and Tile plumbing and heating, and Stuart C. Irby Company did the electric wiring. The school was completed in August 1936. A grandstand with seating capacity of 300 and fence around the athletic grounds was finished...
  • High School - Union City OK
    The Union City High School building was constructed in 1937 under the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works program, later named the Public Works Administration (PWA).
  • High School - Walnut MS
    Tippah County school at Walnut, received a $9800 loan and$6216 grant from Public Works Administration project 2713 for construction of a new school building after the old one burned in March 1933. The project was approved December 26, 1933. Construction started June 16, 1934 and was completed September 18, 1934. The architect was Walter R. Nelson of Memphis. The one-story red brick-veneered building in Colonial Revival style remains in use as the high school. An addition to the rear elevation was added in 1949.
  • High School (former) Additions - Canton MS
    Public Works Project Mississippi 110 enlarged the Canton High School. The addition added a gymnasium with stadium seating, 11 classrooms, library, study hall, dark room, music room and recital hall, club room, clinic, principal's office, restrooms, athletic director's office, janitorial and storage rooms (Mansell, 1998). The building has not been used for education purposes since 1969.
  • High School Improvements - Yazoo City MS
    Yazoo City's 1917 high school was renovated and a new annex built in 1938-1939 with funding from PWA. A grant of $46,227 was provided toward a total cost of $159,427. At 84% completion, the cost was $89,831. The project was approved as PWA x1322 9/7/1938 and construction began 12/9/1938. It was completed 11/20/1939. The annex addition added a gymnasium, dressing rooms, 600 spectator seats, ten new classrooms including a band room, industrial arts workshop, and home economics department. Renovations to the old building included converting the gymnasium into an auditorium with the addition of a stage and sloping floor, converting...
  • Hinds Community College: Central Dormitory - Raymond MS
    PWA project W1183 constructed a boys’ dormitory and boys’ gymnasium for the Hinds County Junior College in 1938. A grant for $151,986 was approved June 22, 1938 toward the total cost of $322,153. Construction started November 14, 1938 and was completed December 4, 1939. The architect was James Manly Spain and the builder/contractor Newton & Schmoll for the Stripped Classic/Colonial Revival dormitory. The brick dormitory contained 43 rooms and an apartment for the dormitory manager. The dormitory is not extant.
  • Hinds Community College: Denton Gymnasium - Raymond MS
    Public Works Administration project W1183 constructed a boys’ dormitory and boys’ gymnasium. A grant for $151,986 was approved June 22, 1938 toward the total cost of $322,153. Construction started November 14, 1938 and was completed December 4, 1939. The Denton Gymnasium is a Stripped Classic, two-story brick designed by architect James Manly Spain and constructed by builder/contractor Newton & Schmoll. The first floor contained locker rooms, club room, supply room, visitors quarters, office, first aid, showers and dressing rooms. The gymnasium with a seating capacity for 700 people was located on the second floor. It remains in use.
  • Hollandale-Yerger (Darlove) Road - Washington County MS
    Public Works Administration project 1307 for completion of gravel roads, bridges, and drainage was approved for Washington County 2/21/1934. A loan in the amount of $400,000 and a grant for $161,149 funded construction of 8.503 miles of the road between Hollandale and Yerger (now named Darlove), as well as between Murphy and Slater's Ferry, and between Winterville and Priscilla. George Vizant was chief engineer of the Washington County Highway Commission, and Barber Brothers of Baton Rouge, LA were contractors. Construction began October 17, 1934 and was completed by August 31, 1937.
  • Holmesville High School - Holmesville OH
    In 1938, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (FEAPW) added two classrooms and a gym/auditorium for the Holmesville High School.
  • Honoapiilani Highway - Lahaina HI
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) awarded $98,627.49 for the Lahaina-Wailuku Belt Road, now known as the Honoapiilani Highway and State 30, running along the south coast of Maui. This was during the early stage of the New Deal when the PWA was known as the Emergency Administration of Public Works under the National Recovery Administration (NRA).    
  • Hospital Annex (former) - Greenwood MS
    A 2-story rear annex was constructed for the Greenwood Leflore Hospital as project W1134. A $15,827 grant was awarded Dec. 14, 1935 toward an estimated cost of $35,171. Construction began Feb. 2, 1936 and was completed Sep. 3, 1936. Construction was by M. T. Reed Construction of Belzoni and R. J. Moor was architect.
  • Hurley School Administration Building - Hurley MS
    The 1937-38 ART Moderne administration building for Hurley School was Public Works Administration project 1247. The town received a loan for $16,500 and a grant for $13, 167, approved 8/12/1937. The contract was awarded 11/23/1937, construction started 12/15/1937 and completed 8/29/1938. the architect was Vinson B. Smith, Jr.
  • Hydro-electric Plant - Seward AK
    Public Works Administration project 6279 for an electric plant at Seward was approved 6/20/1934 for a $96,000 loan and a $30,000 grant. Construction finally began 8/6/1937 and was completed 8/7/1939 for a total cost of $136,170. The project proposed a dam and three-mile pipe line from Lost Creek to near the city and the construction of an electric plant "designed to supply practically unlimited power" (Seward will ask $148,000 PWA funds, Jan 9, 1935, p. 1). Stratton and Beers of Juneau placed the PWA bonds. Bennett and Taylor of Los Angles was awarded the contract for the construction of the...
  • Infrastructure Improvements - Ketchikan AK
    Public Works Administration project W1011 was approved for municipal improvements in Ketchikan 10/2/1936 in the amount of $67,950. Included was street improvements, removal of piling and planking on Water, Cliff, Main, Stedman, Front, Bawden, Mission and Mill Streets and replacing with treated piling and decking totaling $6,500 feet. The project also included placing gravel in a fill on Stedman street and a reinforced concrete bridge on Stedman Street spanning Ketchikan Creek. Construction started 1/8/1937 and was completed 10/25/1937.
  • J.U. Blacksher High School Auditorium/Gymnasium - Uriah AL
    The Emergency Administration of Public Works funded the construction of the Auditorium/Gymnasium at J.U. Blacksher High School.
  • Jasper-Troupsburg Elementary School - Troupsburg NY
    Built as a K-12 public school, the Troupsburg Central School is still extant and in use as Jasper-Troupsburg Elementary School. According to A History of Troupsburg, NY (1808-2004), "It seems likely that the new school in Troupsburg was constructed with New Deal assistance. This fact seems to be confirmed with evidence found in the dedication program. On the list of events in the dedication ceremony, there is an address given by Captain Thomas W. Poindexter. Captain Poindexter is listed as a representative of the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works.... It seems highly unlikely that a representative from such an agency...
1 2 3 4 5 6