The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built some of the cabins at the Holiday Lake 4-H Center in Appomattox-Buckingham State Forest. The CCC also constructed the Woolridge Wayside picnic area nearby.
“A. H. Stephens Historic Park contains tent and trailer sites, picnic sites, and fishing ponds, as well as a nature trail and rustic cabins, and was mostly built by the Civilian Conservation Corps, beginning in 1933.” (wikipedia) The park “is… read more
Abingdon was an 18th-19th century plantation on the site of what is now the Reagan National Airport. Though much of the plantation was destroyed in 1930, the CCC helped preserve and mark portions of the Abingdon Plantation. By 1935, Camp… read more
“Across the country, natural resources were being lost to poor conservation, heavy use, and severe drought. In Maine, one of the newer national parks was struggling. Even though Acadia National Park had been created 17 years earlier, it was still… read more
From The Fur Farms of Alaska: Two Centuries of History and a Forgotten Stampede: “In 1937, the legislature responded by appropriating $20,000 to establish an experimental fur station near Petersburg on land to be selected by a committee of three—… read more
“The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) provided jobs to people willing to work towards reforestation of cut-over timber land and was the progenitor organization of the Allegheny National Forest. A number of CCC camps and CCC associated property types are located… read more
At Alley Spring, the CCC constructed many trails, rock walls, 11 buildings, campgrounds, roads, restored the mill including replacing the floor, and diverted the slough adjacent to the mill to insure that it did not silt in. The CCC unit… read more
Located in the Snow Mountain Ranger District of the Malheur National Forest (transferred from the Ochoco National Forest in 2003), the Allison Ranger Station can be described as historically significant given its age and continuous use in the administration of… read more
“Anita Dam and Reservoir, features of the Huntley Project, are located 6 miles southeast of Ballantine, Montana near Billings. This offstream storage dam was completed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1937. Water is released from Anita Reservoir into the… read more
CCC work in the area includes a picnic area, gazebo, and historic rock fireplaces as well as a guard station now used as a lodge.
Built in 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Antlers Guard Station was originally used to house project and fire crews. Later on, guard stations lost their utility, because the Forest Service had quicker ways to get to forest areas… read more
Arches National Monument was established in 1929 with only 4,500 acres and enlarged dramatically to over 33,000 acres by President Franklin Roosevelt in 1938. Some of the first improvements to the monument were made by workers of the Civilian Conservation Corps… read more
"Farmers in Arroyo Grande, desperate to eke out a living during the Great Depression, were plowing their land to plant bean and pea crops. The unintended result was massive erosion. Arroyo Grande was an eye opener, Hugh Bennett, the first… read more
“The Atlanta Ranger Station Historic District, also known as Atlanta Guard Station, is a 24 acres (9.7 ha) historic districtin Boise National Forest in Atlanta, Idaho that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. It dates from… read more
"The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established in April 1933 as a part of the New Deal Program of President Roosevelt as an effort to provide work for unemployed Americans during the Great Depression. Many of Backbone's buildings were constructed… read more
At Badlands National Park (formerly Badlands National Monument), WPA and CCC workers constructed buildings, created parking areas, made road improvements, and installed utilities. These crews helped develop the park that so many tourists and vacationers enjoy today.
The New Deal was heavily involved in the development of the Banneker Recreation complex. As part of a larger Capital Parks improvement program assisted by the PWA, WPA and CCC, New Deal agency work at Banneker included: “Swimming pools and… read more
In 1927, the Metropolitan District Commission, which is the water works agency for the city of Hartford, Connecticut, purchased land on the Farmington River, northwest of the city, to construct a dam and reservoir. In order to build the dam,… read more
“The Bartlett Experimental Forest (BEF) is a field laboratory for research on the ecology and management of northern hardwoods and associated ecosystems. The BEF is within the Saco Ranger District of the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. It… read more
This densely forested area in the 30’s was marginal land having been logged and overgrazed. This prompted the purchase of these marginal farms which were nearly bankrupt and the formation of the Baskett Wildlife Research and Education Center, a function… read more
Buildings on the facility, a residence and pump house were constructed by the CCC according to the Sierra Historic Restoration Project. “Constructed in 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Forest Supervisor’s house is the heart of the North Fork… read more
“The CCC camp at Bass River State Forest, Camp S-55, lasted from 1933 to 1942, throughout the entire life of CCC. … There were usually 200 men at the camp, which was a full complement. The CCC members performed wide… read more