A multi purpose campground located in the Anza Borrego State Park on the outskirts of the small town of Borrego Springs. A timeline of the park and its development in an information kiosk at another campground says that Borrego Palm… read more
In 1936 the Bureau of Biological Survey (BBS) determined that Bosque del Apache site was suitable for a migratory bird refuge. Condemnation of the land was initiated through the 1931 Migratory Bird Conservation Act and concluded in December 1936. The… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was very active in the Coronado National Forest during the 1930s. Coronado National Forest is discontinuous across southeastern Arizona and southwestern New Mexico because the forested areas occur only on isolated mountain ranges called “Sky… read more
“The Boyce Thompson Arboretum was established in 1923. Franklin Crider, a University of Arizona botanist, managed the research unit to study soil retention by plant roots. In 1933 a small group of Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees from camp F16A at… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps built the Boykin Springs Recreation Area in 1937 and 1938. The park is set in a forest of longleaf pine trees surrounding a nine-acre man-made. spring-fed lake. In the early 1900s this area was the center… read more
The park remained largely unimproved until the mid-1930s, when the Civilian Conservation Corps boys arrived (though there seems to be some uncertainty about exactly when the actual construction work began, two different contemporaneous sources reveal that as of the spring… read more
The Civilian Coservation Corps (C.C.C.) was active at the Breakheart Reservation in Saugus, Mass. 1934 Metropolitan District Commission annual report: “Under Chapter 338, Acts of 1934, the Commission were authorized to purchase about 650 acres of land in Saugus and Wakefield,… read more
The Breckenridge Lookout is in the Greenhorn Ranger District: "Breckenridge Lookout, elevation 7,548 feet, is the southern most lookout on the Sequoia National Forest. It is located approximately 50 miles east of Bakersfield off of the Caliente-Bodfish Road on Forest… read more
“This road and drainage structure was erected at Lake Catherine State Park [now a part of Hot Springs National Park]…for the purpose of providing a passable roadbed for the construction of the main vehicular access road into the park” (Story,… read more
The CCC assisted in the development of this state forest. From Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs: “This rustic shelter is the only one of its type still remaining. Dingley Dell Dam was another important CCC project at this… read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) laborers improved Brown County State Park from 1933 – 1934. The CWA laborers built shelters and worked on establishing trails during their brief stay at Brown County State Park. In 1933 two Civilian Conservation Corps… read more
CCC laborers completed the park amphitheater in 1936. The amphitheater was built into a wooded hillside near the Abe Martin Lodge, as a place for programs and entertainment. The seats, stage, and steps were all made from native stone.
In 1934 a vast archery hunting ground was established in the eastern part of the Brown County State Park. In 1935 CCC laborers completed the Archery (Hunters’) Shelter. The shelter is classified as parks rustic state park.
The site was originally the camp of Emergency Conservation Work (ECW) laborers. In 1934 it became the home of CCC Co. 1557, which was comprised of World War I veterans. The marker commemorates CCC laborer and reads “It was in… read more
Hesitation Point was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The vista sign explains view (height, atmosphere). Hesitation Point is a good example of vistas cleared by CCC workers.
CCC laborers completed the Lower Shelter in 1936. The shelter is two stories with multiple fire places. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The north gatehouse is one of two at Brown County… read more
The Ogle Lake Shelter was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The shelter overlooks Ogle lake and the earth dam to the south. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
CCC laborers completed the oven shelter in 1940. Inside the stone shelter is a two-sided stone fireplace. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
Several oven shelters were built throughout Brown County State Park between 1934 and 1940 but only a few survived. The oven and drinking fountains are in the vicinity of Lower Shelter. The style of the shelter is classified as parks… read more
The Weed Patch Shelter, also commonly known as Peach Tree Shelter, was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
The building was originally called Vermin Shelter, today it is known as the recreational building. Originally the building was used to educate people about local animals. The shelter hosted various small predatory animals (hence the name “vermin shelter”) for public… read more
CCC workers completed the Brown County State Park saddle barn in 1936. It is the largest saddle barn of any Indiana state park, with stalls for 25 horses. The saddle barn is classified as Parks Rustic.
Strahl Shelter was renovated by CCC laborers in 1935. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
The Upper Shelter House was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. CCC workers also constructed a drinking fountain near the shelter. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The west gatehouse is one of two at Brown County… read more
The West Lookout Tower was completed by CCC laborers in 1936. The building is a two story structure overlooking a valley. The style of the lookout is classified as parks rustic.
Several cabins for Bryce Canyon National Park employees were built by New Deal agencies over the course of the 1930s. They appear in the residential area of the Park near the lodge. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a 3-room employee cabin… read more
Many small improvements were made to Bryce Canyon National Park during the New Deal, along with the other substantial additions noted on accompanying pages (see thumbnails to the right). In 1933-1934, the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided the National Park… read more
Rainbow Point was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) in 1939, and it has three different components. First is the overlook area. This has been refurbished in recent years, but the original stone and metal railings can be seen outside of the… read more