This project was originally assigned to Beniamino Bufano, but was awarded to Johnson instead when the WPA fired Bufano. This 1942 frieze entitled “Athletics” covers the back wall of the football field and still stands today. Supposedly, “WPA officials objected… read more
Beniamino Bufano’s brown granite sculptures of, respectively, a seal and a frog were completed in 1942 with the help of FAP funds. They are available for view on the bayside exterior porch.
Works Progress Administration (WPA) project cards for 1938 at the National Archives indicate that the WPA was charged with making improvements to the grounds, buildings, and distribution systems at the U.S. Naval Observatory. Photograph cards on file at the archives show… read more
Bryce Canyon was originally designated as a national monument by President Warren G. Harding in 1923 and became a national park through an act of Congress in 1928. The park covers 35,835 acres in south-central Utah. The New Deal greatly… read more
The present Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling is the site of the former Anacostia US Naval Air Station and the former Bolling Air Field, both founded in 1918. Bolling Field was absorbed into the Naval Air Station in the 1940s and a… read more