The Andrew Jackson Courts public housing complex was undertaken in Nashville, Tennessee following the passage of the Housing Act of 1937 and establishment of the United States Housing Authority (USHA). The USHA worked in conjunction with the Public Works Administration… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded additions to three existing schools in Nashville 1938-1940. Supervising architects for the projects were Hart, Freeland, and Roberts of Nashville, although the design architects for projects varied. The Nashville firm of Dougherty, Clemmons and… read more
The old Nashville City Market was constructed in 1936-1937 with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA). The chief contractor for the project was Foster & Creighton Construction Company. Project cost was “almost a half a million dollars” (Van West, 2000,… read more
One-story, brick, H-shaped building with tile roof. This building was originally constructed by the Works Progress Administration as the swimming pool and bathhouse for Nashville’s Centennial Park. The swimming pool and bathhouse were closed during the Civil Rights movement as… read more
The Cheatham Place public housing complex was undertaken in Nashville, Tennessee following the passage of the Housing Act of 1937 and establishment of the United States Housing Authority (USHA). The USHA worked in conjunction with the Public Works Administration (PWA)… read more
The Davidson County Public Building and Courthouse on the Public Square in Nashville was constructed in 1936 to 1938 with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA). This enormous, 8-story building covers an entire city block and was built to… read more
The New Deal did a great deal of work restoring and improving historic battlefields around the country in the 1930s. As part of this effort, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) restored Fort Negley in 1937-38. This was an important Confederate… read more
Nashville’s former main post office was built in 1933-34 by the Treasury Department’s Office of Construction (later the Office of Procurement). The enormous structure, filling a city block, was constructed in a record 18 months. The design by architects Marr… read more
Nashville’s Tennessee State Office Building was built circa 1939-40 as part of the New Deal Public Works Administration program. It is an example of the Federal government’s efforts to provide employment during the Depression. The Streamlined Classical design of Nashville… read more
This mural “The Discovery of Tennessee,” painted by Dean Cornwell, was completed with New Deal funds in 1941.
Presently known as Martin Luther King, Jr. Magnet High School, Nashville’s historic Pearl High School was built in 1936-37 with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. Pearl High School was built expressly to serve Nashville’s African American community (which was… read more
The former Municipal Public Works Garage Industrial District is comprised of six single-story, brick buildings built c. 1940. The garages are on the west bank of the Cumberland River, in Nashville. Buildings 1 through 4 run lengthwise northwest to southeast… read more
Nashville International Airport was first constructed by the Works Progress Administration, a New Deal program. Tennessee Encyclopedia: “Some of Tennessee’s largest WPA projects reflected the arrival of the age of flight. WPA workers … built major airports in Memphis, Chattanooga,… read more
One-story brick Colonial Revival building, rectangular in shape, on raised basement. Limestone pilasters with Doric capitals surround windows and door in center of facade. Interior of the building is largely intact, including original brass post office boxes.
“Now a standard Nashville tradition, Iroquois Steeplechase traces roots back to 1936, when Marcellus Frost suggested a racecourse to take over a piece of Warner Parks. Mason Houghland, master of the Hillsboro Hounds, along with foxhunter Con. Thompson Ball, and… read more
This cast-metal portrait bust of Admiral Albert Gleaves by Belle Kinney was funded by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. It was originally installed in the old Nashville U.S. Courthouse & Post Office building, but now resides at the Tennessee… read more
The mural entitled “Scenes from Tennessee History,” made up of 11 panels, was painted by Jihayr Zorthian. It can be found in the Governor’s Reception Hall in the Tennessee State Capitol. The Federal Art Project (FAP) commissioned the work.
Tennessee State University was established in 1909 as Tennessee Agricultural and Industrial State College, a land-grant college. It is the only state-funded historically Black college or university in Tennessee. The New Deal helped a great deal to build up the… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) paid for construction of Tennessee’s Supreme Court building in 1937-38. The state’s highest court had not previously had its own building, having been housed in the state capitol. The structure also contains the…. Short and… read more
The Hermitage was a plantation operated by enslaved African Americans and owned by president Andrew Jackson from 1804 until 1845. The site is now a historical site and museum. “In the 1930s, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) donated $70,000 towards… read more
The Walter Stokes School in Nashville, Tennessee was undertaken with the assistance of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) during the Great Depression. The Colonial Revival building was constructed with ten classrooms and a cafeteria. It temporarily housed Julia Green Elementary… read more