The one-story elementary school was completed in September 1936 for use by African American children in Memphis. The building had two inner courtyards. Construction cost was $157, 627 and project cost was $175,692. The school was combined with another school… read more
The John Gaston Hospital was constructed during the Great Depression in Memphis, Tennessee with the assistance of funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA). “With the Gaston inheritance, $300,000 from the city [of Memphis], $100,000 from the county [of… read more
Memphis International Airport was developed in part by the Works Progress Administration, a New Deal program. Tennessee Encyclopedia: “Some of Tennessee’s largest WPA projects reflected the arrival of the age of flight. WPA workers … built major airports in Memphis,… read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted an improvement project at Memphis National Cemetery, providing work for about 35 laborers.
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) enlarged worked to improve Memphis Zoo during the Great Depression. Federal labor installed a pair of stone lions at the entrance; constructed a metal cage for bird flight; built Monkey Island and Ibex Mountain;… read more
Currently known as Levitt Shell, in recognition of funding that saved it from demolition, the Overton Park band shell was constructed by the WPA and City of Memphis in 1936 for $11,935. It has almost been demolished twice.
The building contains three murals by artist Burton Callicott in 1934, commissioned under the CWA’s Public Works of Art Project. The murals are titled “Conflict with the Indians” (left panel), “Coming of De Soto” (center panel), and “The Discovery of… read more
Numerous and widespread street paving and improvement projects in Memphis, Tennessee were undertaken with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds during the Great Depression. (PWA Docket Nos. TN W1111, W1112, W1113, W1114, W1115, W1224, W1225, W1228, W1239)
Construction of new additions to the 1884 US Marine Hospital in Memphis began in 1933, although the majority of the work was completed by WPA crews after 1935 (Van West, 2001, p. 94). Buildings added by WPA were the 3-story… read more
Foote Homes public housing opened in 1940 with 900 units designated for African American families. Foote is the last remaining public housing facility in Memphis and occupies 46 acres near downtown Memphis. It was one of several public housing complexes… read more