The Frank Berry Courts were constructed 1939 through the United States Housing Authority. The complex included 95 buildings, 113 dwelling units, ow which 77 were 1-family attached units, 36 were 2-family attached units. Most were 5-room units, but some were… read more
The two-story red-brick former gymnasium was constructed by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (later the PWA) in 1936-1937. It retains its original massing and pedimented parapet. It was renovated in 1964 to become a first floor library and… read more
Harris High School for African Americans was completed in 1938 with PWA funding that also constructed the Meridian High School, gymnasium, and vocational buildings. Harris High School was smaller and less elaborate than Meridian High School, and contained no additional… read more
The auditorium annex to the Highland School, originally constructed in 1907, was completed by the WPA in 1936. It was destroyed in 1986.
Architects P. J. Krouse and L. L. Brasfield substantially redesigned the historic Lauderdale County courthouse, a 1905 Beaux Arts building originally designed by Krouse, and “transformed into an Art Deco structure” (Ford, 2004). The traditional features, including a dome, cupola,… read more
The “Stripped Classic, Art Moderne” (Mississippi Department of Archives and History) 2 story brick with limestone trim building was completed for a construction cost of $591,489 and project cost of $688,195 (Short & Stanley-Brown, 1939, p. 216). The project also… read more