• Deer Creek Dam - Leland MS
    "A c. 1940 poured concrete dam with metal gates and fixtures. Built with federal funds during the Depression era to help control drainage, flooding on Deer Creek" (Embree, 2004, p. 12).
  • Leland Community House/Garden Club - Leland MS
    The "one-story (plus) gabled, rectangularly-massed, frame club house with brick veneer exterior, has a transitional Tudor Revival/Craftsman style. Windows in front-gabled ell to left of facade have heavy concrete hood and lintel, stepped shutters. Door, also in front gable, is recessed in porch with concrete surround formed like rough planks, has concrete steps and rail, faux plank single-leaf wood door. Paired 1/1 windows to the right of the entry are set in faux board siding, enclosing former porch. Corbelled-top chimney has decorative brick work" (Embree, 2004). It is conjectured by MDAH that the building was completed by the Emergency Relief Administration,...
  • Leland Elementary School - Leland MS
    The Leland Elementary School was designed by N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town, and was constructed in 1935 as part of the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (later renamed the PWA). The building complex illustrates the simplicity of the Modern movement that evolved during the Great Depression.
  • Post Office - Leland MS
    The one-story, buff-colored brick Colonial Revival post office has granite steps, cast-iron railings, a wide limestone frieze, and wooden cornice. It is topped by an octagonal wooden cupola with louvered minor sides. It was one of 32 post offices constructed in Mississippi with Public Works Administration funds.
  • Post Office Mural - Leland MS
    The post office contains a mural painted by Stuart R. Purser, "Ginnin' Cotton." Purser's design was the winning design for Mississippi in the 48-State mural competition.
  • Water and Sewer Plant - Leland MS
    "Improvements to streets, sidewalks, bridges, drainage and sewerage systems" including the "...Water and Sewer works adjacent to the dam" on Deer Creek (Embree, 2004, p. 54). The remains of the building are present, though it is not in use.