The locally beloved Dunlavy Stadium was constructed by the Works Progress Administration and was dedicated on Sept. 24, 1937. It can seat about 5,000 people and is built of rock and concrete. The seating was originally wooden-backed but the rotting… read more
This mural “Lumbering, Agriculture and Mining” was moved from the original location to the new Sonora High School Library in 1976: “Acclaimed watercolor artist George Post was hired by the [Works Progress Administration] in 1936. His first assignment was a… read more
This two-story Dome was constructed in 1909 as a local school. The WPA added bleachers and a wall to the southeast of the Dome. The Dome now houses the Sonora Union High School District's administrative offices.
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Science Building at the Sonora Union High School in Sonora.
According to Tuolumne County Historian Carlo De Ferrari, the Works Progress Administration worked extensively along Wards Ferry Road, doing widening and other improvement work. Excerpts from WPA job cards: WPA Project No. 65-3-100, Date 8/27/35, $12,124, “Street Repairs”. WPA Project… read more