The California State Fair was established at this location in 1909. The WPA worked on the site during the 30s, most likely on the 75 acre expansion of the grounds in 1937. The fair, however, has since moved to a… read more
From the school’s website: “Population growth in the city of Sacramento during the 1930s prompted the construction of the city’s second high school, C.K. McClatchy Senior High School. Funding to build the school came from local sources and the Public… read more
The river rock wall around community clubhouse was done by the WPA. Unsure whether the building itself is also a WPA project.
As the photo description below explains, this concrete underpass allowed pedestrians to safely cross the railroad tracks at Freeport and 4th: "Number of people benefitted: All persons including school children crossing W.P.R.R. tracks at Freeport Boulevard. Provides sadety for children… read more
"The Sacramento Junior Colleges Annex and Extensions were the most costly PWA project in Sacramento. Built in 1936 and 1937 they were built to meet the needs of the growing city population and student body. Together they added an auditorium,… read more
“Importance of Education in Sacramento” by Ralph Stackpole was painted in 1937 with support from the WPA Federal Art Project. “San Francisco painter and sculptor Ralph Stackpole was among the artists who created on the federal dime. He spent the… read more
“The Theodore Judah School was constructed in the 1930s as two separate Public Works Administration (PWA) projects. It consists of two small school buildings both built in the Streamlined Moderne style which reached its pinnacle in the 1930s. This moderne… read more
The WPA built the rock garden near the lake as well gutters and other improvements throughout the park.