The school contains two WPA architectural sculptures “Girls Physical Education” and “Sower and Reaper.”
Medium: oil on canvas The massive 5 x 132 foot “History of Aviation” is located in the school library. Jean Goodwin and Arthur Ames did the sketches for this mural. Dorr Bothwell and possibly Helen Lundeberg enlarged them and did… read more
The fresco “A Visit to the Jungle” (medium: casein tempera on plaster), measures 5’6″ x 17’6″ and was commissioned by the New Deal’s Federal Art Project. The mural is housed in the Jane Addams Elementary School library.
The library was originally funded by Carnegie and built in 1907. The WPA rehabilitated the library after damage from the March, 1933 earthquake. The building pictured here was unfortunately destroyed by a fire in 1972. The new library was built… read more
The WPA rebuilt Long Beach Fire Department Station No. 7 after it was destroyed in the 1933 earthquake.
The WPA rebuilt Long Beach Fire Department Station No. 9 in 1939 after it was destroyed in the 1933 earthquake.
Formerly called Long Beach Junior College 'This project consists of three buildings, replacing the former school plant destroyed by earthquake in 1933. The upper illustration is of the physical-science building and the lower of the English building. The former is… read more
“Three-story structure with hexagonal lookout tower built in 1938 as a WPA project; moved to Cherry Ave. in 1961.” -http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/List_of_City_of_Long_Beach_historic_landmarks “The Cherry Avenue Lifeguard Station was first constructed at the foot of Linden Avenue to replace the Lifeguard Headquarters that… read more
These murals and mosaics depicting aviation, navigation, zodiac and constellations are in various locations throughout the Long Beach Airport Terminal. They were created by then 28-year-old artist Grace Clements. From Early Aviation in Long Beach: “Long Beach declared the terminal… read more
In the 1930s the WPA worked on the Long Beach Airport, making improvements to the fields and runways and constructing a new terminal and control tower building: “In the late 1930s, the council approved plans to purchase 255 acres adjoining… read more
After the 1933 earthquake, Long Beach Polytechnic High School was rebuilt in 1937, partly by financing from the PWA, and by the WPA as well. Inscription above door reads “Enter to learn, Go Forth To Serve.” Cost below is for… read more
This mural “Industrial Activities in Longbeach” wraps around an interior stairwell at Polytechnic High School between buildings 300 and 400. It was painted by Ivan Bartlett and Jean Swiggett in 1938 with support from the WPA Federal Art Project. It… read more
Ivan Bartlett and Jean Swiggett completed this casein tempera fresco, entitled “Industrial Activities in Long Beach,” in 1938, with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. The mural measures 17′ in height by 35′ wide. The artists were themselves alumni… read more
This Art Deco style school was built in 1934, and the WPA worked there improving the grounds.
Theodore Roosevelt Elementary School was originally built in 1935 with assistance from the WPA. In 2015, a major renovation was unveiled, which preserved existing aesthetic elements while modernizing the building.