Adams Field, also since known as Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport, was first constructed during the early 20th century. The federal Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) assisted with the airport’s development. The W.P.A.’s Division of Operations wrote: This project is… read more
This large school was built by the WPA in 1939 and is still in us. “Arkansas’s WPA program began in July 1935 under state administrator William R. Dyess and provided money for numerous social services and infrastructure improvement projects. Social… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) furnished the labor for the restoration of the last territorial capitol grounds of Arkansas, during the latter years of the Great Depression. The site now houses the Historic Arkansas Museum. The institution states on… read more
The park remained largely unimproved until the mid-1930s, when the Civilian Conservation Corps boys arrived (though there seems to be some uncertainty about exactly when the actual construction work began, two different contemporaneous sources reveal that as of the spring… read more
Constructed in 1840, the Tower Building, “the only surviving remnant of the Little Rock Arsenal,” was traded by the federal government to the City of Little Rock for 1,000 acres and the “condition that the grounds be ‘forever exclusively devoted… read more
The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) had a great impact on War Memorial Park, including constructing the “golf clubhouse”.
The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) had a great impact on War Memorial Park. “During the 1930s the original zoo buildings, the golf clubhouse, the bathhouse and the swimming pool were constructed by WPA workers.” The W.P.A. likely undertook other construction… read more
“This project consisted of the construction of an impounding reservoir on the Saline River, 40 miles from Little Rock, a 40-mile transmission line, and the filter plant illustrated on this page. The plant, constructed at an approximate cost of $225,000,… read more
The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of what was then the University of Arkansas-Little Rock’s medical school; construction occurred from 1933 to 1935. The building now houses the William H. Bowen School of Law.