The Works Progress Administration built an addition for the Crichton Elementary School in Mobile. The architect of record was Fred W. Clarke. The school was permanently closed. The current state of the structure is unknown to the Living New Deal.
The Works Progress Administration constructed Mobile’s Davis Avenue Community Center. The center opened in 1936 and it included facilities such as tennis courts and a pool. Today, the facility is known as the Davis Avenue Recreation Center. The center holds historical significance for… read more
Built as the U.S. Court House and Custom House from 1932 to 1934, this building was Renamed the John Archibald Campbell United States Courthouse in 1981. A 1939-1940 New Deal construction project involved the extension of the building to the… read more
Multiple New Deal agencies were involved in the development of what is now known as Mobile Regional Airport. The Works Progress Administration built runways; and the Civil Works Administration oversaw the construction of terminal buildings and hangars.