The Langston Golf Course in Anacostia Park was opened as a 9-hole course in 1939 (and expanded to 18 holes in the 1950s). It was constructed with the help of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Works Project Administration (WPA)…. read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to improve the public golf course at Battle Island State Park.
The Works Progress Administration built the Brewton Alabama Country Club and facilities for an adjacent airport on Highway 31 in Brewton. Next to the country club, the WPA built a nine-hole golf course, a landing field, 5000 linear feet of runway, and… read more
The WPA constructed the 9-hole Cameron Course at what is now Buffalo Hill Golf Club. From the Buffalo Hill Golf Club website: “In the early 1930’s, land was purchased where part of the Cameron 9 holes now resides. The Cameron… read more
The Capital City County Club Golf Course was originally a 9-hole golf course developed by George Perkins. In 1924, the newly-incorporated Tallahassee Country Club purchased the golf course from Perkins. In 1935, the Tallahassee Country Club donated the land to… read more
NYSParks.com: “Located in Chenango Valley State Park in scenic Broome County, the original 9-hole course, known as Riverside Golf Course, was designed by engineer James Evans and landscape architect Laurie Cox and constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the… read more
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) workers expanded D.W. Field Golf Course in Brockton, Mass. WPA Bulletin: Brockton WPA added ten acres to the original 30 acres of fairways, built bunkers to tax the skill of players, widened fairways and did extensive… read more
The Works Progress Administration built the Municipal Golf Course and club house in Douglas, Converse County, Wyoming. The facility is still in service today and operates under the name Douglas Community Club.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) made various improvements in East Potomac Park, which is located on a peninsula bounded by the Potomac River, Tidal Basin, and the Washington Channel. CCC work at the park featured… read more
Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers provided landscaping improvements to the Eastmoreland Golf Course, the City of Portland’s oldest municipal course, during 1937. The $26,348 project budget was made up almost entirely of labor costs. As a Parks Bureau report notes,… read more
The historic El Monte Clubhouse in Ogden, Utah was constructed as part of a New Deal project by Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA). These agencies preced the Works Progress Administration (WPA), to which the building… read more
Salt Lake City acquired the Forest Dale golf course, formerly the Salt Lake City Country Club, in 1935. The inclusion of the above photograph in the National Archives WPA records suggests that the WPA conducted work on the clubhouse depicted in the… read more
On July 16, 1935, the Department of Parks announced that the Forest Park Golf Course in Queens had been “entirely rebuilt with new greens and tees in line with the most modern golf architecture.” A later press release confirmed that… read more
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) workers conducted the following work in Cambridge, Massachusetts. From a W.P.A. Bulletin: WPA beautification of the Cambridge Fresh Pond Parkway golf course includes the filling of unsightly water filled pools, messed with an accumulation of assorted… read more