Brooklyn College: Landscaping – Brooklyn NY

The buildings of Brooklyn College were financed by a massive federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project undertaken during the Great Depression. After the buildings were constructed, Works Progress Administration (WPA) laborers worked on improving the campus, primarily through landscaping efforts, beginning in 1938…. read more

Cedars of Lebanon State Park – Lebanon TN

The creation of the Cedars of Lebanon State Park in Tennessee was a multifaceted joint project of the Resettlement Administration, the CCC, the forestry division, NPS and the WPA: “Project development began in the fall of 1935, with forestry personnel,… read more

Delano Park – Decatur AL

“When the Great Depression hit in the 1930s, Franklin Delano Roosevelt used landscape and park projects to provide relief and hope for America. The second great period of park building occurred during this ten year period when the CWA and… read more

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden – Coral Gables FL

Miami and the surrounding Dade County were effectively without city or county parks until the 1930s.  The city got its first park in 1925, after which the city was devastated by a hurricane the following year. The county received its… read more

Fort Worth Botanic Garden – Fort Worth TX

The Fort Worth Botanic Garden had its origins in 1912 when the park board purchased a tract of land southwest of Trinity Park and named it Rock Springs Park. In his 1909 park master plan for Fort Worth, landscape architect… read more

Frank Newhall Look Memorial Park – Florence MA

Frank Newhall Look Memorial Park was constructed between the years 1928 and 1930, as the result of a large one hundred and fifty acre land grant from Mrs. Fannie Burr Look who was the wife of the late Frank Newhall… read more

High Plains Grasslands Research Station Improvements – Cheyenne WY

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to improve what is now the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s High Plains Grasslands Research Station (then Cheyenne Horticultural Field Station), located northwest of Cheyenne, Wyoming. USDA.gov: “1935 – Many inprovements were made to the… read more

International Peace Garden – Dunseith ND

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed the International Peace Garden during the 1930s.

Letchworth State Park – Castile NY

A site devoted to the history of the park (www.letchworthparkhistory.com) has compiled an extensive list of CCC work done in the park: During the Great Depression, Letchworth Park was the site of several Civilian Conservation Camps. (See the Glimpse of… read more

Mountain Laurel Sanctuary – Union CT

Nipmuck State Forest’s Mountain Laurel Sanctuary began “as a beautification project of the Civilian Conservation Corps” in 1935. Located along Snow Hill Road, it features Connecticuts state flowers, and is particularly beautiful during peak bloom.

Nipmuck State Forest – Union CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)’s Camp Graves operated between May 27, 1933 and April 22, 1936 at Nipmuck State Forest in Union, Connecticut. Among the C.C.C. accomplishments were “8 miles of truck trails” and “fire suppression on the Connecticut—Massachusetts border.”… read more

San Juan National Historic Site: Casa Blanca Historical Monument and Museum – San Juan PR

Between 1935 and 1939, WPA crews conducted historic restoration and renovation work at this site, Casa-Torre de Ponce de León, built in 1521 for the notoriously brutal conquistador who died before ever occupying the residence. It is better known as… read more

Shenandoah National Park – Shenandoah National Park VA

“Between May 11, 1933 and March 31, 1942, ten CCC camps were established within, or on leased land adjacent to, Shenandoah. At any one time, more than 1,000 boys and young men lived in camps supervised by the Army and… read more

Tucson Plant Materials Center – Tucson AZ

Tucson Plant Materials Center

“Public Works Administration funds financed construction of the Tucson Plant Materials Center. Hispanic workers hired with Federal Emergency Relief Administration funds made the adobe blocks. The eight original buildings at the center were later assembled by Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees… read more