In its 1936 report entitled “The First 3 Years. PWA,” the PWA remarks that “…probably the most dramatic and spectacular changes effected by PWA are advances in transportation.” Among the the transportation advances listed in the report are water-related improvements to… read more
WPA crews conducted numerous improvements, including retaining wall construction and road paving, in the mid-1930s to the recently opened Point Reyes Lifeboat Station.
The Army Corps of Engineers, the Public Works Administration, and the National Industrial Recovery Administration funded and conducted improvement operations in the Port Allen Harbor between 1934 and 1935. The work consisted of creating a 1,200 foot “rubble-mound breakwater,” and dredging the “harbor… read more
The Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) sponsored a large harbor improvement project at Port Allen in Eleele, Hawaii. The P.W.A. supplied a $401,904 grant for the project, whose total cost was $818,446. Construction occurred between Jan. 1938 and Oct. 1939.
Funds for road improvements at the foot of Seventh Street in the Port of Oakland were secured through the State Emergency Relief Administration (SERA) in 1935 (Minutes of the Port Commissioners). SERA was funded by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided funding to the Port Authority of Oakland to enlarge the Outer Harbor area, just south of the Bay Bridge. The work was done as the bridge was under construction, c 1935-36. From PWA photographs… read more
Bayonne’s massive Port Terminal—later the Military Ocean Terminal at Bayonne—was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. While plans for the development were made in the early 1930s, construction occurred between 1937 and 1938. The PWA supplied a $2,430,000… read more
This eventual WPA project was originally begun during the Hoover administration, in 1931. The current $625,000 pier took over 3 years to complete. Not part of the original appropriation, Congress approved the construction of a new pier head light in 1934,… read more
In 1943, the Public Works Administration (PWA) (by then part of the Federal Works Administration) funded a new ferry slip and expansion of the public wharf in Martinez. The government grant was for $77,000, but the city accepted a bid… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted millions of dollars (not even adjusted for inflation) of improvement and development work at the former Raritan Arsenal in Edison, New Jersey. Work involved the construction and improvement of facilities and various utilities,… read more
Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration work relief division efforts included “a concrete landing pier … at Sein[e] Bay, Culebra, where naval vessels and marines assemble for winter maneuvers.” The exact location and status of the project are unknown to Living New… read more
The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) financed part of the construction of ferry boats for the Staten island Ferry, to the tune of $1,397,500. The first boat, “Gold Star Mother,” was dedicated by Mayor La Guardia on May 7, 1937. The project… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted improvement on the training ship USS Illinois (later USS Prairie State), stationed off 135th Street on the Hudson River. The boat was sold for scrap in 1956. WPA project details: “Alter and rehabilitate U.S…. read more
Mississippi Project 1102 “undertook a considerable program of improving its waterfront facilities and harbor for small craft, including slips and pier with recreational features, a clubhouse, swimming pool, and tennis courts” (Short & Stanley-Brown, 1939, p. 424). Miss Proj. 1419… read more
Between World War I and World War II, the economy of New Bedford changed dramatically. The city’s whaling industry disappeared and textile manufacturing plummeted. In 1937, the city’s unemployment rate was a staggering 32.5 percent. New Bedford was down and… read more
Yacht Basin No. 2 was part of a large-scale New Deal redevelopment of the Washington Channel and Southwest Waterfront area. The Diamond Construction Company started building the basin in 1938, supervised by the Army Corps of Engineers. The basin was completed… read more