1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
  • Municipal Auditorium Artwork - Kansas City MO
    The Kansas City Municipal Auditorium facade is decorated with three bas relief carved medallions depicting classic themes. The medallions were created by Albert Stewart in 1934 as part of the PWA construction project. Albert Stewart was born in Kensington, England, immigrated to the United States in 1908 and was orphaned soon after arriving. He studied at the Beaux-Arts Institute of Design and the Art Students League of New York as a result of the support of Edwin Bechtel. He was an assistant to Paul Manship after WWI. He taught at Scripps College, moving to California where he lived until his...
  • Murray E. Nelson Government and Cultural Center Bas Reliefs - Key Largo FL
    The building contains five bas reliefs by Joan van Breeman.
  • Nancy Hill Elementary School Ceramic Tile Lunettes - Aurora IL
    Emmanuel Viviano created these ceramic tile lunettes with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. Located at Nancy Hill School in Aurora IL, the four ceramic tile lunettes are signed by Emmanuel Vivianno. The four lunettes are: Deer, Dear and Fawn, Sheep and Wart Hog. They each measure approximately 2 feet by 4 feet. In their original location, the lunettes were set in alcoves, located above water fountains on the first and second floor of the school. The school was scheduled to be torn down in the Summer of 2017 and the tiles were relocated to a new school building. Pictured are the...
  • Nancy Hill Memorial Plaque - Aurora IL
    Walnut plaque created/signed by PeterPaul Ott in memory of Nancy Hill. "A Memory of Nancy L. Hill, Principal, West Aurora Schools 1903 - 1928." The plaque currently is on display in the north entrance corridor of the school. Please note that this school is scheduled to be demolished in the Summer of 2017.
  • National Zoo: Fulda/Mortellito Bas-Reliefs - Washington DC
    Elizabeth Fulda was commissioned to make glass mosaics – 9 by 6 foot panels – to be placed over two entrance doors to the new addition to the Bird House done in 1936.  Those were never done.  Instead, her designs were used to create colored concrete panels carved by Dominico Mortellito. Mortellito's  initials are carved in the panels, but the design is Fulda's, as can be seen from her drawings submitted to the Fine Arts Commission. One panel depicts dodos and the other moas.  The panels still exist on the rear of the building – though the doors have been bricked up...
  • National Zoo: Knight Bas-Reliefs - Washington DC
    Charles R. Knight produced a frieze of Pre-Historic Animals inside the Large Mammal House at the National Zoo in 1937. They were cast in aluminum by the Manhattan Terrazzo Brass Strip Company. On the floor are roundels by Knight in marble and aluminum depicting various large mammals. Those were also carried out by the Manhattan Terrazzo Brass Strip Company. These artworks were commissioned and paid for by the Treasury Relief Art Project, which aimed to put unemployed artists back to work.    
  • National Zoo: Mortellito Bas Reliefs - Washington DC
    Two one-foot square cast-aluminum plates, depicting the  "Pied Piper of Hamelin," were produced by Domenico Mortellito in 1936 and installed in the Small Mammal House at the National Zoo. These pieces were commissioned and paid for by the Treasury Relief Art Project (TRAP), which gave work to unemployed artists in the Depression.
  • National Zoo: Springweiler Bas-Reliefs - Washington DC
    Erwin Springweiler designed the sculptures of elephants and mammoths above the interior doors in the Elephant House at National Zoo. The actual carving was done by Lombard & Ludwig, architectural sculptors, during construction of the Elephant House in 1936-37. These works were paid for by the Treasury Relief Arts Project (TRAP).    
  • O'Hanlon Reliefs, Steinbeck Station Post Office - Salinas CA
    Sculptor Richard "Dick" O'Hanlon created two wooden bas-relief panels for the Salinas, California post office and federal building -- now called the Steinbeck Station Post Office.   The works were funded by the Treasury Relief Art Project (TRAP) and installed in 1936.  One is titled "Cowboy and Bull" and the other "Cowboy and Horse."  They are carved in black walnut. The reliefs hang at either end of the long lobby. They appear to be in very good condition. Originally from Long Beach, California, O'Hanlon (1906-1985) joined other young California artists like Frederick Olmsted apprenticing with Diego Rivera at the San Francisco Art Institute...
  • O'Toole School Bas Relief - Chicago IL
    This ceramic relief "Physical Education" by Louise Pain was created with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project.
  • Oak Park School Bas Reliefs - Aurora IL
    Bas relief murals depicting agricultural and economic themes were completed between 1938 and 1940 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
  • Oakton School: Lenzi Bas Reliefs - Evanston IL
    In 1939, Alfred Lenzi designed two wooden reliefs for the Oakton school with WPA Federal Art Project funds. The 3' x 9' "Farm Animals" was completed with assistance from wood worker Rudolph Franz. The 3′ x 11′ "Wild Animals" was completed with assistance from wood worker Svend Ericksen.
  • Orinda Water Treatment Plant - Sandow Reliefs - Orinda CA
    The Federal Art Project of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) commissioned these bas-relief sculptures by Elliot Franz Sandow (1910-1976).  They decorate an overflow weir at the Orinda Water Treatment Plant, part of the East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD). Labor and materials for the project cost $1360. The artist completed similar bas-relief panels for the Labor Temple and Woodminster Amphitheater in Oakland. The sculptures remain in fine condition and are available for public viewing at the Orinda plant.
  • Oxford Elementary School Reliefs - Cleveland Heights OH
    https://clevelandhistorical.org: "Under the direction of the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Cleveland Public Library, the Cleveland FAP employed needy artists adorning schools and public buildings throughout Greater Cleveland. The Cleveland Heights school district requested works pertaining to children's themes and the American Scene during the late 1930s and 1940s. Oxford Elementary received funding for two murals, two hydrocals, and thirty-five ceramics (though only some of the ceramics were completed)." "In 1941, artists LeRoy Flint and Henry Olmer, inspired by the history of Cleveland, created a pair of relief panels for Oxford depicting "Agriculture" and "Industry." They were sculpted in clay, but...
  • Parklawn Housing Development Sculptures - Milwaukee WI
    "The Parklawn Housing Project, Milwaukee, WI was built by the WPA. Part of the philosophy was to incorporate art with mixed income families. There are two sculptures entitled "Fishing" and "Music" still extant done by WPA artists in the central park area of Parklawn (artists unknown), although there is extensive damage on both sculptures."
  • Penataquit Station Post Office Sculpture - Bay Shore NY
    "In addition to its architectural importance, the contains a noteworthy relief sculpture entitled Speed by Wheeler Williams that was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Painting and Sculpture in 1936. This was one of the New Deal art programs during the 1930’s which created murals and other public art for public buildings. Williams emphasizes the speed of communication by mail with his sculpted image of Mercury, the messenger and god of commerce and travel. The Penataquit Station Post Office was entered in the National Register of Historic Places on November 17, 1988." (www.bayshorecommerce.com)
  • Pioneer Square Totem Pole - Seattle WA
    This totem pole stands in the middle of historic Pioneer Square, known as the "first neighborhood of Seattle". The Pioneer Square Totem Pole stands tall but unobtrusive in the middle of this square. It is actually a replica of a previous totem pole that was damaged by vandals in 1938 and restored by CCC woodcarvers and then restored again in 1972. It is one of three structures that are listed as a National Historic Landmark as well as being a contributing structure in the Pioneer Square Skid-Road District. It's also, coincidentally, listed as part of three structures in the National Register...
  • Post Office (demolished) Relief - Fairport NY
    The historic post office building in Fairport, New York housed a example of New Deal artwork inside: a Treasury Section of Fine Arts-commissioned bronze relief entitled "The Harvest." Henry Van Wolf completed the work in 1939, and it was installed in the post office lobby. The present whereabouts of the work is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Post Office (former) Bas Relief - Easley SC
    The historic former post office building in Easley, South Carolina contains an example of New Deal artwork: "Cultivation of Corn," a bas relief commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
  • Post Office (former) Bas Relief - Marion NC
    The plaster relief titled "Unity" was created for the historic post office building in Marion, North Carolina, now the library. The relief has been moved from above what would have been the Postmaster's door and placed on the wall of what was the basement of the post office, now the lower floor of the library.
  • Post Office (former) Relief - Blawnox PA
    The historic former post office building in Blawnox, Pennsylvania houses an example of New Deal artwork: a wood relief titled "The Steel Worker and Family," created by Mildred Jerome in 1941. The work was commissioned by the federal Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
  • Post Office (former) Relief - Derry NH
    "New deal relief entitled "Town of Derry" created and installed by Vladimir Yoffe in 1938. It remained in the old post office until 2002 when the building was demolished. It has since been restored and since 2004 has hung in the Arts Center on the campus of the Pinkerton Academy in Derry."
  • Post Office (former) Relief - Miamisburg OH
    The historic New Deal Miamisburg post office building houses an example of New Deal artwork: "Indian and Trader," a 1942 wood relief by Leo Schulemowitz. The work was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
  • Post Office (former) Relief - New Milford CT
    The former post office building in New Milford, Connecticut (which now the municipal Parks and Recreation department) still houses original New Deal artwork. This wooden relief, titled "The Post," was created under the Treasury Section of Fine Arts in 1938 by Mildred Jerome.
  • Post Office (former) Reliefs - Monticello AR
    The Monticello Economic Development Commission building—formerly the post office—features (New Deal) Section of Fine Arts-funded terra-cotta reliefs entitled "Tomato Culture." They were created by Berta Margoulies in 1941. "Berta Margoulies was commissioned for $750 to create a mural for Monticello, Arkansas as a result of competent designs submitted in a Section of Fine Arts Competition. Margoulies method of sculpting differed from the more usual techniques. Generally, an original model was copied in another material such as stone or bronze. These reliefs, however, were modeled directly in terra cotta clay and they were then fired in a kiln. This direct method, while...
  • Post Office (former) Reliefs - Spearfish SD
    The historic former post office building in Spearfish, South Dakota houses examples of New Deal artwork: wooden reliefs entitled "Fish Story," installed by Marion Overby in 1943. Historic marker: Programs to employ artists were part of the national recovery effort during the depression. Marion Overby of Los Angeles was commissioned to do a sculpture for the interior of the building. After consulting the mayor for ideas, she titled her work "Fish Story." The sculpture still hangs on the wall of the lobby.
  • Post Office (former) Sculpture - Weirton WV
    "Pony Express and Rural Delivery" This bas relief, cast stone sculpture, unveiled in 1940 by Vincent Glinsky for the Treasury Section of Fine Arts is at the site of the former Weirton Post Office. The post office moved out of the building in the 1960s and it has remained vacant.
  • Post Office (former) Sculpture (missing) - Toms River NJ
    The old Toms River post office, located at 40 Washington St., housed an example of New Deal artwork: "Boating on Barnegat Bay," a sculpture created by Milton Hebald in 1941. The work was commissioned by the federal Treasury Section of Fine Arts. Unfortunately the whereabouts of the sculpture are presently unknown.
  • Post Office (former): Bruton Bas Reliefs - Fresno CA
    These two terra-cotta bas reliefs—one of a boy and one of a girl, both standing by a post office box—are about 5 feet tall and made from terra cotta. They are titled "RFD 1" and "RFD 2," and were created by Helen Bruton with support from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts in 1940.
  • Post Office (former): Calfee Sculpture - Fresno CA
    Artist William H. Calfee created this cast concrete sculpture for the post office exterior in 1940 under the auspices of the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
  • Post Office (former): Garner Bas Relief - Fresno CA
    A poured stone relief of a woman and a set of scales signifying "Justice." Approximately 10' high x 5' wide x 1' deep. The sculpture was created in 1940 by Archibald Garner with support from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
  • Post Office and Courthouse Art - Miami FL
    "The David W. Dyer Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse, formerly known simply as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, is an historic United States Post Office and federal courthouse of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida located at 300 Northeast 1st Avenue in Miami, Florida... The mural Law Guides Florida Progress completed by artist Denman Fink in 1941 is located above the judge's bench and is flanked by two pairs of Ionic marble pilasters. The mural depicts the positive impact of justice guiding Florida's economic development. Fink included a likeness of himself as a draftsman and...
  • Post Office Bas Relief - Ayer MA
    The post office in Ayer, Massachusetts houses an example of New Deal artwork: "Rural Mail," a wood relief commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. Installed in the lobby in 1943, the work was created by Leo Friedlander.
  • Post Office Bas Relief - Bedford IN
    "Limestone Quarry Workers" Moved to this location in 1989 Medium: terra cotta
  • Post Office Bas Relief - Bloomfield IN
    The terra cotta relief "Waiting for the Mail," by Lillian Swann Saarinen, was completed with New Deal funds in 1941. The work is visible in the historic Bloomfield post office building.
  • Post Office Bas Relief - Carthage MS
    Peter Dalton completed this carved wood bas relief, entitled "Lumbermen Rolling a Log," in 1941 with funds provided by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. It is viewable in the lobby of Carthage's historic post office.
  • Post Office Bas Relief - Chesterfield SC
    The Chesterfield post office contains a 1939 plaster relief by Bruno Mankowski entitled "The Farmer's Letters," which was created under the auspices of the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. The work is still displayed in the lobby of the post office.
  • Post Office Bas Relief - Clinton MA
    A plaster bas relief: "History of a Letter," was created by Theodore C. Barbarossa in 1939 as a commission by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. The work was originally installed in the then-new post office on Union Street. It has since been relocated to the current Clinton post office at 320 High Street, behind glass in the building's public lobby.
  • Post Office Bas Relief - Covina CA
    Atanas Katchamakoff created a Spanish cedar relief, "Covina Desert Orange Groves," to frame a door in the Covina, CA, post office lobby. The project was funded by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts (TSFA) and likely completed in 1939. Note: Established in 1939, the Section of Fine Arts succeeded the Treasury Section of Painting and Sculpture (1934-1938) and the Treasury Section of Fine Arts (1938-1939) in overseeing artworks created to enhance public buildings, notably post offices.
  • Post Office Bas Relief - Crooksville OH
    The terra cotta relief entitled "Potter" was commissioned by the federal Treasury Section of Fine Arts. It was installed in Crooksville's historic post office building in 1939, where it still hangs today.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9