- G. Ross Anderson Jr. Federal Building and Courthouse - Anderson SCThis historic federal building (now G. Ross Anderson Jr. Federal Building and Courthouse) in Anderson, South Carolina was built in 1937-8 with Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses an example of New Deal artwork, no longer houses postal operations but continues to serve as a federal building with modest federal courthouse functions.
- G. Ross Anderson Jr. Federal Building and Courthouse Mural - Anderson SCThis historic federal building (now G. Ross Anderson Jr. Federal Building and Courthouse) in Anderson, South Carolina houses an example of New Deal artwork: "Corn, Cotton, and Tobacco Culture," an oil-on-canvas mural painted by Arthur Covey in 1940. The work was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. Its dimensions are 10 x 15.25 ft. Per the GSA, the artist describes his work thusly: Here, during the season of cotton picking, Covey states that "my characters are American citizens, descended from several generations in the South who stuck to their lands in the reconstruction days and fought their own economic problems. ...
- General Services Administration Regional Office Building (former) - Washington DCThe eastern half of the former General Services Administration Regional National Capital Office Building was built under the New Deal in 1933-35. The Public Works Administration (PWA) contributed $1,750,000 towards the project and the Treasury Department paid the rest, $850,000. The purpose of the expansion was to add ~400,000 square feet of space for a consolidated home of the Treasury Department's Procurement Division, whose workers had been spread out across several buildings in the District. Originally meant to be an addition to the Procurement Division's building across 8th Street to the west, completed in 1932, the addition was simply integrated into the...
- Glenville Bratenahl Station Post Office - Cleveland OHCleveland's historic Glenville Bratenahl Station post office—then known as Station H—was constructed in 1935-6 with Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. Designed by R. Stanley-Brown, the building is still in service. Short and Stanley-Brown: This postal station serves a rapidly growing commercial district in the northeastern part of Cleveland and also the village of Bratenahl, an exclusive residential area lying along Lake Erie. Its postal receipts approximate $133,000 annually. The lobby is 18 by 51 feet, has a terrazzo floor, a low marble wainscot, and plaster walls and ceiling. The exterior walls are light-red brick trimmed with artificial stone and the building is fire-proof except...
- Government Publishing Office Warehouse: Cast Stone Reliefs - Washington DCU.S. Government Publishing Office Warehouse (also known as Building No. 4) is graced on the exterior by four bas-relief sculptures commissioned by the New Deal’s Treasury Section of Fine Arts. The original name of this office complex was the US Government Printing Office, but it was changed in 2014. Two printing press worker sculptures were created in 1937 by Elliot Means (1904-1962). After the 1930s, Means went on to become a successful artist, “known as a maker of bas-reliefs and painter of southwestern scenes” (Albuquerque Journal, 1962). The two eagle sculptures were done by Armin Scheler (1901-1987) in 1937. After his New Deal artwork,...
- Government Publishing Office: Building No. 3 - Washington DCThe U.S. Government Publishing Office (USGPO) is a four building complex, which was called the Government Printing Office until the name was changed to the Government Publishing Office in 2014. Building No. 3 was constructed in 1939-40 by the Treasury Department and the Federal Works Agency. The funding for Building No. 3 was approved by Congress, c. 1935, along with two other federal building projects in the District (an annex for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and remodeling of a building for the General Accounting Office). In 1938 a group of buildings at H and North Capitol streets NW was torn down to...
- Government Publishing Office: Warehouse, Building #4 - Washington DCThe U.S. Government Publishing Office (USGPO) is a four building complex, which was called the Government Printing Office until the name was changed to the Government Publishing Office in 2014. The USGPO warehouse, also known as Building #4 of the complex, was constructed in 1936-38 by the Charles H. Tomkins Co. under a $1,042,930 contract with the Procurement Division of the U.S. Treasury. The Treasury had long been responsible for all government (non-military) buildings and a new Procurement Division was created in 1933 by the incoming Franklin Roosevelt Administration to coordinate all such activities. The design of the building was done under...
- Gwen B. Giles Station Post Office - St. Louis MOThe historic Gwen B. Giles Station post office—also known as Wellston Station (prior to a Congressional renaming)—in St. Louis, Missouri, was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds between 1936 and 1937. The building, which houses a New Deal mural inside, is still in use today.
- Hansen Dam - Los Angeles CAThe Hansen Dam in Los Angeles, CA was constructed in 1938-40 as part of an enormous flood control project in Los Angeles County. Located at the confluence of Big and Little Tujunga washes in the San Fernando Valley’s Lake View Terrace neighborhood, the $11,000,000 project was completed under a contract between the Army Corps of Engineers, the Los Angeles County Flood Control District (LACFCD), and the Works Progress Administration (WPA). $2,300,000 came from the Emergency Relief Agency (ERA). The project was overseen by Lieut. Col. Edwin C. Kelton of the Corps. The project hired WPA workers and contracted the Guy...
- Harris County District Attorney's Building (demolished) - Houston TXHouston's historic Harris County District Attorney's Building was constructed as a federal office building and post office during the 1930s. The building, whose construction was funded by the Treasury Department, was completed in 1939. Harris County purchased the building in 1978.
- Hawkins Sculptures, U.S. Court and Custom House - St. Louis MOThe U.S. Court and Custom House in St. Louis was constructed in 1933-35 using U.S. Treasury Department funds. Benjamin Hawkins carved the stone figures representing justice that frame the main entrance on Market Street. They were installed in 1939. They were almost surely a commission from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts, but that needs to be confirmed.
- Henderson County Library (Old Post Office) - Athens TXThe Henderson County Library in Athens, Texas, also known as the Clint W. Murchison Memorial Library, was constructed in 1935 as the Athens post office. The building has served as a library since 1973.
- Hollywood Post Office - Los Angeles CAIn 1937, the Treasury Department funded the construction of the Hollywood Post Office in Los Angeles, CA. Designed by architect Claud Beelman, the Hollywood Post Office is constructed in a Starved Classicism style. The ornamentation on the building consists of fluting on the pilasters and a belt course decorated with acanthus patterns. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places on Jan. 11, 1985.
- Honolulu Harbor Improvements - Honolulu HIThe Army Corps of Engineers, the Public Works Administration, and the National Industrial Recovery Administration funded and conducted improvement operations in the Honolulu Harbor between 1934 and 1935. The work consisted of the enlargement of the “entrance channel to 40 feet deep and 500 feet wide, easing the curve where the entrance channel joins the inner harbor; deepening the harbor basin to 35 feet, for a general width of 1,520 feet; dredging to 35 feet along the reserved channel, a channel 900 feet wide and 1000 feet long, and thence a channel along the northerly side of the reserve channel 400...
- Hugo School Administration Office - Hugo OKWhat is now the Hugo School Administration Office was constructed as the community's post office during the Great Depression. The re-purposed building continues to house New Deal artwork inside.
- Hugo School Administration Office Mural - Hugo OKJohn A. Fleck painted the mural "Choctaw Indians See the First Mail Coach" in 1938 for the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. The mural was painted for what was then the Hugo post office, now the Hugo School Administration Office.
- Immigration Station - Honolulu HICompleted in 1934, the historic United States Immigration Office facility in Honolulu was constructed with Treasury Department funds. The complex, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, "consists of/five buildings: administration building (most visible and important), detention building (to the right and rear of the administration building, used to detain those immigrants waiting for proper clearance to enter Hawaii), .lounging shed (an open pavilion directly to the rear of administration building), garage and waiting shed (to the right of the administration building) and the gardener's cottage (no longer standing)."
- Inspection Station - Alburg Springs VTThe historic U.S. Border Inspection Station on Alburg Springs Road in Alburg, Vermont was built in 1937 with U.S. Treasury Department funds.
- Inspection Station - Beebe Plain VTThe historic U.S. Border Inspection Station on Beebe Road, which connects with Quebec Route 247, in Beebe Plain, Vermont, north of Newport, Vermont, was built in 1937 with U.S. Treasury Department funds.
- Inspection Station - Canaan VTThe historic U.S. Border Inspection Station on State Route 141 in Canaan, Vermont was built in 1933 with U.S. Treasury Department funds.
- Inspection Station - Curlew WAThe historic U.S. Border Inspection Station on Customs Road northwest of Curlew, Washington was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. Built in 1937, the Colonial Revival structure (along with attendant storage shed) is still in service.
- Inspection Station - Fort Fairfield METhe historic U.S. Border Inspection Station at Boundary Line Road in Fort Fairfield, Maine was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The Colonial Revival facility was completed in 1934.
- Inspection Station - Franklin VTThe historic former U.S. Border Inspection Station on State Route 235 in the town of Franklin, Vermont was constructed c. 1935 with U.S. Treasury Department funds. The station is also known as the "Morse's Line" facility.
- Inspection Station - Laurier WAThe historic U.S. Border Inspection Station on U.S. 395 in Laurier, Washington was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. Built in 1935, the Colonial Revival structure (built with Cape Cod-style Immigration Residence and Customs Residence) is still in service.
- Inspection Station - Limestone METhe historic U.S. Border Inspection Station on Route 229 / Grand Falls Rd. in Limestone, Maine was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The Colonial Revival (Cape Cod)-style facility was built in 1933.
- Inspection Station - North Troy VTThe historic U.S. Border Inspection Station on State Route 243 in Troy, Vermont was built in 1937 with U.S. Treasury Department funds. A newer facility has been built by the New Deal structure.
- Inspection Station - Norton VTThe historic U.S. Border Inspection Station on State Route 114 in Norton, Vermont was built in 1933 with U.S. Treasury Department funds.
- Inspection Station - Orient METhe historic U.S. Border Inspection Station on Boundary Rd. in Orient Maine was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The Colonial Revival facility (along with attendant garage) was built in 1937.
- Inspection Station - Tecate CAThe historic U.S. Border Inspection Station (and attendant housing facilities) on State Route 188 (a.k.a. Tecate Rd.) in Tecate, California was built in 1934 with U.S. Treasury Department funds. The facility is in Spanish Colonial Revival style, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).
- Inspection Station - West Berkshire VTThe historic U.S. Border Inspection Station (along with an attendant residence building) on State Route 108 in Berkshire, Vermont was built in 1934 with U.S. Treasury Department funds.
- Inspection Station (abandoned) - Houlton METhe historic former U.S. Border Inspection Station on Border Lane off U.S. 2 in Houlton, Maine was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The facility was completed in 1934. Wikipedia: "This border crossing was closed in the early 1970s when Interstate 95 was completed immediately to the north. The Canada border station, which was sometimes called Richmond Road, was demolished. The US border station remains in disrepair."
- Inspection Station (demolished) - Highgate Springs VTThe historic former U.S. Border Inspection Station in Highgate Springs, Vermont was constructed in 1940 with U.S. Treasury Department funds. It has since been demolished.
- Inspection Station (demolished) - Noonan NDThe historic former U.S. Border Inspection Station on State Highway 40 in Noonan, North Dakota was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. Completed in 1937, the facility was demolished and replaced ca. 2011.
- Inspection Station (former) - Danville WAThe historic former U.S. Border Inspection Station on Highway 21 West in Danville, Washington was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. Built ca. 1936, the facility was "sold and relocated" once replaced ca. 1988. The present location and status of the old building is presently unknown to Living New Deal.
- Inspection Station (former) - Eureka MTThe former U.S. Inspection Station at the Canadian border north of Eureka, Montana (along Route 93) was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the 1930s. Completion photographs of the facility taken Nov. 3, 1933 reside in the National Archives. The facility has since been replaced.
- Inspection Station (former) - Laredo TXThe historic former U.S. Border Inspection Station in Laredo, Texas was built in 1943 with U.S. Treasury Department funds. The facility was in Spanish Colonial Revival style. The facility has been replaced, and Living New Deal believes the New Deal structure has been demolished.
- Inspection Station (former) - Porthill IDThe historic former U.S. Border Inspection Station (and attendant garage facility) on State Route 1 in Porthill, Idaho was built in 1938 with U.S. Treasury Department funds. Living New Deal believes the structure has been demolished and replaced with a newer facility.
- Inspection Station (former) - Raymond MTThe former U.S. Inspection Station at the Canadian border north of Raymond, Montana (along Route 16) was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the 1930s. A completion photograph of the facility taken Aug. 5, 1937 resides in the National Archives. While the operations have been replaced by a newer facility closer to the border, Google Street View and satellite imagery suggest that the original New Deal structure, as of 2014, still stands.
- Inspection Station (former) - Sasabe AZThe former U.S. Inspection Station at the Mexican border south of Sasabe, Arizona (along Route 286) was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the 1930s. Completion photographs of the facility taken May 7, 1937 reside in the National Archives. The structure has since been replaced.
- Inspection Station (former) - Scobey MTThe former U.S. Inspection Station at the Canadian border north of Scobey, Montana (along Route 13) was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the 1930s. Completion photographs of the facility taken Jul. 6, 1937 reside in the National Archives. The facility has since been replaced.