Originally built in 1915 as the Foreign Arts Building for the Panama-California Exposition, it was renovated and expanded in 1935, with WPA money for the California-Pacific International Exposition. Rose Hanks created an incised relief doorway depicting Junipero Serra for the… read more
This 4′ high Indiana limestone sculpture and fountain by Donal Hord is titled “Woman of Tehuantepec” and is located in the courtyard of the House of Hospitality at San Diego’s Balboa Park.
Named for the numerous Pepper Trees that provide shade to the picnic area, the popular Pepper Grove offers picnic grounds with 15 tables and an extensive playground for children.
Belle Baranceanu was painted two oil on canvas murals at Balboa Park in 1935, paid for with federal funding: “Progress of Man” and “Education and Culture”. She rushed to complete the later for the 1935-1936 California Pacific International Exposition and… read more
These two oil on canvas murals, entitled “Farm Landscape” and “Point Loma,” were painted by Charles Reiffel on a commission from the WPA Federal Art Project in 1937. They were originally installed at Memorial Junior High School. Each mural measures… read more