The Board of Water and Light Dye Conditioning Plant in Lansing, Michigan contains multiple examples of New Deal artwork, including: “Aquarius,” a limestone relief created in 1938-39 by Samuel Cashwan. The massive work is located above the building’s front entrance.
“Created through the WPA/FAP programs and a gift from the Class of 1938, this limestone marker” at MSU’s Abbot Road entrance “welcomes visitors and students to the MSU campus, then known as Michigan State College. The classical column, reinterpreted in… read more
“Samuel Cashwan, supervisor of the Michigan Sculpture Program for the WPA, designed the Art Deco limestone reliefs framing the southwest entrance. They depict images of dance and performance, such as children dancing to the beat of drums.” Also featured on… read more
Samuel Cashwan completed this cast concrete sculpture, entitled “Three Musicians,” in 1940, with funding from the WPA Federal Art Program. From the Kresge Art Museum New Deal Walking Tour website: “The Three Musicians is all that remains of a pair… read more
“This PWA building by architect Ralph R. Calder, built in memory of Richard M. Olin, M.D., was considered “modern in every detail.” Although additions to the building were made in 1956 and 1969, the bulky massing, textural variety, and minimalist… read more