(Toggle Search Options)

Select criteria for a search.
In each box, select from list or type.
After selecting, click on Search button at bottom of page
Fields can be left blank!

Displaying 121-135 of 156 results

Green Ridge State Forest

Green Ridge State Forest – Flintstone MD

Date added: November 29, 2012

At 47,560 acres, Green Ridge State Forest is the second largest state forest in Maryland and the “largest contiguous block of public land in Maryland.” It offers opportunities for target shooting, hunting, fishing, primitive camping, hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding,… read more

Savage River State Forest

Savage River State Forest – Grantsville MD

Date added: November 24, 2012

Savage River State Forest is the largest state forest in Maryland. It offers the following: “Biking trails, boat launch, cross country skiing, campsites, fishing, flat water canoeing, hiking trail, historic interest, hunting, picnic, riding trails, shelters, snowmobiling, white water canoeing”… read more

Chambers Park NYA Log Cabin

Chambers Park – Federalsburg MD

Date added: October 17, 2012

From a 1993 “Maryland Register of Historic Properties Internal Listing Notice” (prepared by Dr. Conrad Gregory): “The Chambers Park Log Cabin is significant as an example (of) New Deal park architecture more commonly associated with western Maryland parks than those… read more

Oakland Maryland Post Office Mural

Post Office Mural – Oakland MD

Date added: October 11, 2012

Robert F. Gates completed this tempera on canvas mural, entitled “Buckwheat Harvest,” in 1942 with funds provided by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.

Oakland Maryland Post Office

Post Office – Oakland MD

Date added: October 11, 2012

A cornerstone on the Oakland, Maryland Post Office shows it to be a project of the Federal Works Administration from 1940.

"History of Transportation" Panel 1

Post Office Mural – Towson MD

Date added: October 1, 2012

New Deal mural entitled “History of Transportation” painted by Nicolai Cikovsky in 1939. The mural is composed of five tempera panels.

Towson Maryland Post Office

Post Office – Towson MD

Date added: October 1, 2012

The Towson Post Office was built circa 1936-1937, as a U.S. Treasury Department project.

Cunningham Falls State Park CCC Pavilion

Cunningham Falls State Park – Thurmont MD

Date added: September 15, 2012

The land that is now Cunningham Falls State Park used to be part of the Catoctin Recreational Demonstration Area (now called “Catoctin Mountain Park”).  The land was turned over to Maryland in 1954.  The land was originally worked and developed… read more

Salisbury Maryland Post Office

Federal Building Extension – Salisbury MD

Date added: September 5, 2012

The Salisbury Post Office, on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, was originally built in the 1920s.  The U.S. Treasury commissioned an expansion of the building circa 1936 “which included a second floor and…an additional two bays on each end of… read more

Catoctin Mountain Park Entrance Sign

Catoctin Mountain Park – Thurmont MD

Date added: September 5, 2012

From the National Park Service website for Catoctin Mountain Park: “President Franklin D. Roosevelt created programs to give people a chance to rebuild their lives from the Great Depression. The Works Progress Administration and the Civilian Conservation Corps gave this… read more

Fort Frederick

Fort Frederick State Park – Big Pool MD

Date added: July 27, 2012

“The men of the CCC developed this park by building roads, pavilions, shelters, outdoor grills, restrooms, and more.  They rebuilt the deteriorated walls of Fort Frederick (now a National Historic Landmark) and the barrack foundations inside the fort (the barracks… read more

Antietam National Battlefield Cemetery Wall Repairs

Antietam National Battlefield – Sharpsburg MD

Date added: July 16, 2012

The Battle of Antietam took place on September 17, 1862, and is known as the bloodiest day of the Civil War.  General George B. McClellan and his Union forces faced off against General Robert E. Lee and his Confederate Army… read more

Town Hall and Fire Station – Bowie MD

Date added: June 10, 2012

This PWA building was used as a fire station until the 1960s, when Company 19 moved into a new fire station on the same block. The original building still seems to be standing next door to the new station, and… read more