(Toggle Search Options)

Select criteria for a search.
In each box, select from list or type.
After selecting, click on Search button at bottom of page
Fields can be left blank!

Displaying 31-45 of 258 results

McGraw St. Bridge – Seattle WA

Date added: February 6, 2017

Grants from the Public Works Administration and the Works Progress Administration helped fund the construction of a new bridge to carry McGraw Street across the Wolf Creek ravine in Seattle’s Queen Anne Hill district. The new bridge opened in 1936…. read more

West Queen Anne Playfield Improvements – Seattle WA

Date added: January 23, 2017

WPA workers completed several improvement projects at West Queen Anne Playfield between 1936 and 1939. The largest of these projects was the construction of a combination shelter house, grandstand, and baseball backstop near the intersection of West Blaine Street and… read more

Arlington High School (former) Murals – Arlington WA

Date added: October 2, 2016

David M. Hartz, superintendent of Arlington’s schools, requested from the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a mural of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox to adorn the walls of Arlington High School as a memorial of the folkloric past of… read more

Highland Park Playground Shelter House – Seattle WA

Date added: September 13, 2016

During the 1930s, with the help of Works Progress Administration funds and labor, the Seattle Park Department made significant improvements to Highland Park Playground. The largest of these improvement projects was the construction of a one-story brick shelter house in… read more

Highland Park Playground Improvements – Seattle WA

Date added: September 13, 2016

In 1925, the Seattle Park Department purchased the site for Highland Park Playground at Thistle Street and 10th Avenue SW. The playground site saw few improvements during the late 1920s and early 1930s. A series of WPA projects between 1935… read more

Dockton Park – Vashon WA

Date added: July 29, 2016

“The Dockton King County Park was created during the Great Depression as a project of the Works Progress Administration. Theo Berry was the local storekeeper and WPA administrator. The original structures, which included a bathhouse, a kitchen building, a bandstand,… read more

William K. Nakamura Federal Courthouse – Seattle WA

Date added: July 26, 2016

The Federal Works Agency and the Public Building Administration of the Treasury Department funded the construction of this federal courthouse, the first single-purpose federal courthouse on the west coast. From the Seattle Department of Neighborhoods: “In 1936, the federal government… read more

Naval Reserve Armory – Seattle WA

Date added: July 26, 2016

From the National Register of Historic Places nomination file: “Built on the eve of World War II, on the southwest shore of Seattle’s Lake Union, the Naval Reserve Armory is a historically and architecturally significant structure closely associated with the… read more

City Hall – Bellingham WA

Date added: July 24, 2016

From the Center for Pacific Northwest Studies: “Bellingham’s second City Hall [was] designed by Leonard William Somerville Bindon [and] built under Public Works Administration and Federal Works Agency programs of the New Deal in the Art Deco style. Begun in… read more

Laurelhurst Playfield Field House – Seattle WA

Date added: July 9, 2016

During the late 1930s, with funds from various New Deal programs, the Seattle Park Department made significant improvements to Laurelhurst Playfield. The largest of these improvement projects was the construction of a field house near the southern end of the… read more

Laurelhurst Playfield Improvements – Seattle WA

Date added: July 9, 2016

The Seattle Park Department acquired the site for Laurelhurst Playfield along NE 41st Street between 45th Avenue NE and 48th Avenue NE in 1927. Although a few improvements to the site were completed between 1929 and 1932, a series of… read more

Jackson St. Railroad – Seattle WA

Date added: June 16, 2016

Workers for the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) laid track for a railroad on Jackson St., in Seattle’s Central District neighborhood, in 1934.