(Toggle Search Options)

Select criteria for a search.
In each box, select from list or type.
After selecting, click on Search button at bottom of page
Fields can be left blank!

Displaying 31-45 of 361 results

Lake Placid – Stover MO

Date added: January 9, 2017

This water retention dam and lake was constructed by the WPA in 1937. It was was justified as being for potential needs in a drought, but which primarily served as a place for water recreation for African American families in… read more

Schoolhouse (former) – Cuba MO

Date added: January 5, 2017

In 1935, the Public Works Administration (PWA) constructed a building of local stone as an addition to the complex of Cuba Public School buildings on the same block. (The other buildings date to 1905 and 1922. The former has since… read more

Rulo Bridge (demolished) – Rulo NE to MO

Date added: July 29, 2016

“The Rulo Bridge was a truss bridge over the Missouri River on U.S. Route 159 from the village of Rulo in Richardson County, Nebraska, to Holt County, Missouri. It was built in 1939 by the Works Progress Administration and Kansas… read more

Jensen Point – Pacific MO

Date added: June 7, 2016

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed Jensen Point in 1939, overlooking Route 66. The park closed to the public in the 1990s and reopened in 2016.

Bollinger School (former) – Scopus MO

Date added: August 17, 2015

This school building is a WPA project from 1937. It has rock work that is particularly well-done, though rather spare. The walls are predominately dark river rock with lighter colored rock under the eaves, at the corners, and surrounding the door and… read more

Pond Creek School – Grassy MO

Date added: August 17, 2015

This WPA school is in reasonably good condition and is presently being used as a hunting retreat. The native rock building has a plan very similar to the abandoned school in Gipsy with the entry at a corner and a… read more

Lincoln High School – Kansas City MO

Date added: August 17, 2015

When built by the PWA in 1936, Lincoln was the only high school available for black students in this segregated school system. It was built on a hill overlooking the vibrant 18th and Vine entertainment district that boasted some of… read more

Municipal Building – Shrewsbury MO

Date added: August 17, 2015

The PWA built this single story colonial style municipal building in 1939. It has a brick façade with cut stone accents, and a cupola graces the center of the roof. It currently houses the Shrewsbury police department.

Post Office Renovation – Columbia MO

Date added: August 5, 2015

This deep red brick building was previously the post office for Columbia, but with the construction of the new post office, this was remodeled and housed the public library until the library moved to west Broadway and Garth Ave. The… read more

High School Gymnasium – Hallsville MO

Date added: August 5, 2015

This gymnasium, built by the PWA in 1937, is on the south side of the Hallsville High school campus. It has a light red brick façade with windows on the south side for offices.

School Gymnasium – Centralia MO

Date added: August 5, 2015

The PWA gymnasium constructed in 1937 is now surrounded by additions to the school that followed it. It has a red brick façade with stone accents.

Audrain Medical Center Nurses Home – Mexico MO

Date added: August 5, 2015

This nurses home was built in 1936 by the PWA on the Audrain Medical Campus to house nurses who worked in the hospital, and probably also nursing students. It is on the south side of the Medical Center.

Post Office – Richmond MO

Date added: August 5, 2015

The Treasury Department funded the construction of this post office, designed by Louis Simon, in 1936. It features a modern deco design with flat stone around the entryway, tall windows, and modern light fixtures flanking the entry. Above the windows… read more

Post Office – Savannah MO

Date added: August 4, 2015

In 1939, the Treasury Department funded the construction of this typical colonial style post office with a central cupola, a red brick façade, with stone accents. There is no mural in this post office.