(Toggle Search Options)

Select criteria for a search.
In each box, select from list or type.
Fields can be left blank!
After selecting, click on Search

Displaying 16-30 of 151 results

Lake Ashburton Pumping Station and Improvements – Baltimore MD

Date added: June 6, 2016

The Works Progress Administration (WPA) developed the park at Lake Ashburton, constructing a fence and walkway around said. Maryland WPA Project #13. The Public Works Administration also built the lake’s pumping station for the Baltimore water system.

Street Improvements – Williamsport MD

Date added: June 6, 2016

The Works Progress Administration improved roads in Williamsport, Maryland. A photograph shows improvements made at Vermont St. and Salisbury St. Maryland WPA Project #6.

Fifth Regiment Armory Building – Baltimore MD

Date added: June 6, 2016

National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: “The Fifth Regiment was the first armory built by the State for the National Guard. … The original structure cost $450,000 to build and had a barrel vault roof over the drill… read more

Coast Guard Cutter “Taney” – Baltimore MD

Date added: January 24, 2016

The U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Taney, now a museum ship in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, was built in 1935-1936, with funds from the Public Works Administration.  During World War II, the Taney was outfitted with extra weaponry and saw action in… read more

Upper Potomac Interceptor Sewer Extension – Bethesda MD

Date added: March 6, 2015

In 1933, the Public Works Administration allotted $15,000 for the construction of an Upper Potomac Interceptor extension. The Evening Star described this project in its September 3rd (Sunday Star) edition: “This will complete the last link of a sewer located… read more

Patapsco Valley State Park – Ellicott City MD

Date added: March 2, 2015

“Conservation efforts began in the river valley in 1907 when the Patapsco State Forest Reserve was established. During the Depression years of the 1930s, President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) planted trees and built trails, picnic areas, campsites… read more

Beltsville Airport (former) – Beltsville MD

Date added: February 24, 2015

In 1941, the Works Progress Administration  (WPA) conducted improvement work on a grass airstrip at Beltsville MD. The Washington Post reported in April that “clearing, grubbing, grading, draining, construction of runways, seeding and installation of lighting facilities” had begun.  … read more

Post Office Mural – Elkton MD

Date added: December 30, 2014

Alexander Clayton painted “Arrival of the Post, 1780” (oil on canvas) for the Elkton post office with funding from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. During renovations in the 1970’s, the mural was removed. It was restored but has remained… read more

Post Office Bas Relief – Pocomoke City MD

Date added: December 29, 2014

The carved and painted wood bas relief “Power of Communication,” by Perna Krick, hangs in the lobby of the Pocomoke, Maryland post office. It was funded by the federal Treasury Section of Fine Arts.