(Toggle Search Options)

Select criteria for a search.
In each box, select from list or type.
After selecting, click on Search button at bottom of page
Fields can be left blank!

Displaying 166-180 of 189 results

Central Grade School (demolished) – Anchorage AK

Date added: November 17, 2016

“During the depression years (1938-39) the Central Grade School in Anchorage was built in Art Deco design, as a PWA (Public Works Administration) project of the Roosevelt Administration.” (ed.gov) The building was located on Fifth Avenue between F St. and G… read more

Street Paving – Anchorage AK

Date added: November 17, 2016

A sizable street paving project in Anchorage, Alaska was undertaken during the Great Depression with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The P.W.A. supplied a grant of $45,000 toward the project, whose total cost was $101,737. Work… read more

City Hall (former) – Anchorage AK

Date added: November 17, 2016

The historic former Anchorage City Hall was built during the Great Depression with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The P.W.A. supplied a grant of $32,727 toward the project, whose total cost was $79.553. The building, which… read more

Sitka Pioneers’ Home – Sitka AK

Date added: March 16, 2016

The Sitka Pioneers’ Home was built with financial assistance from the PWA, ca. 1935, and served as “a home for aged pioneers” (source note 1).  It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 (source note 2)… read more

Post Office – Wrangell AK

Date added: February 9, 2015

The historic U.S. Post Office and Customs House in Wrangell, Alaska was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which was completed in 1942, houses an example of New Deal artwork and is still in use today.

Fishery Products Laboratory (demolished) – Ketchikan AK

Date added: February 9, 2015

The U.S. Fishery Products Laboratory in Ketchikan, Alaska was constructed with federal funds and operated by the Fish and Wildlife Service. The facility was completed in 1940, and archival photos show that it was located on the east side of… read more

Street, Sidewalk and Sewer Improvements – Juneau AK

Date added: January 6, 2015

Juneau’s streets, sidewalks and sewers were improved with the aid of New Deal federal funds during the Great Depression. A newspaper report in 1938 said that the Public Works Administration (PWA)  had allotted $170,000 for these purposes, but the 1940 Annual… read more

Totem Square and Rock Retaining Wall – Sitka AK

Date added: January 2, 2015

A rock retaining wall was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1940 with the creation of Totem Square. The “Baranov” Totem Pole, also completed in 1941-42 as a project of the CCC under the supervision of the Forest… read more

City Hall (Old Federal Building) – Sitka AK

Date added: January 1, 2015

Sitka, Alaska’s City Hall was originally constructed as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse. Constructed during the Great Depression, the concrete-construction federal building was completed to replace a wooden frame structure that had burned in 1936. The two-story building was… read more

Old Juneau-Douglas Bridge, c. 1959 - Juneau AK

Juneau-Douglas Bridge (replaced) – Juneau AK

Date added: January 1, 2015

The original Juneau-Douglas bridge was built in Juneau, Alaska with the assistance of funds provided by the the Public Works Administration (PWA). The steel bridge   spanning the Gastineau Channel was opened October 13, 1935.  It was the first roadway connection between the… read more

Federal Building – Anchorage AK

Date added: January 1, 2015

“Constructed almost twenty years before Alaska became the forty-ninth state, the Federal Building in Anchorage symbolized the U.S. government’s commitment to the economic growth and development of the territory. Providing residents with a post office, courthouse, and other federal services,… read more

Water System – Seldovia AK

Date added: January 1, 2015

The Public Works Administration (PWA) undertook the water supply system in Seldovia, Alaska during the Great Depression. The water supply system was constructed for $25,454 in 1939. It was a part of a wave of construction projects resulting in part… read more

Post Office and Courthouse (former) – Nome AK

Date added: August 27, 2014

Nome, Alaska’s old post office and courthouse was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds and opened in 1938. The building, which still stands, is located along Front Street adjacent to Federal Way. It has since been heavily modified and is… read more

Federal Building – Ketchikan AK

Date added: July 18, 2014

The first federal courthouse in Ketchikan was opened in 1905. By 1913, a federal grand jury requested the government build a new facility. In 1923, a report found the 1905 courthouse “dilapidated beyond reasonable repair and overcrowded past endurance.” Finally,… read more