(Toggle Search Options)

Select criteria for a search.
In each box, select from list or type.
After selecting, click on Search button at bottom of page
Fields can be left blank!

Displaying 151-165 of 187 results

Post Office – Tazewell VA

Date added: July 17, 2013

The historic post office in Tazewell, Virginia was constructed in 1937 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses New Deal artwork inside, is still in use today.

Water Treatment Facilities – Lorton VA

Date added: July 6, 2013

According to an index of WPA projects in the National Archives, the WPA constructed a sewage disposal plant, sedimentation tanks, a sludge digestion tank, and dripping beds in Lorton in 1936. In 1938, the Washington Post reported that funds were… read more

U.S. Experimental Gardens – Arlington VA

Date added: June 26, 2013

According to WPA records in the National Archives, in 1939 WPA labor was used to “Construct and rehabilitate water and sewer facilities, and roads, improve grounds, at the United States Experimental Gardens in Arlington County Va.” Exact location and current… read more

U.S. Coast Guard Station – Alexandria VA

Date added: June 26, 2013

According to WPA records in the National Archives, in 1941 WPA labor was used to “Improve grounds at the U.S. Coast Guard Monitoring Station, including constructing fences; clearing trees, brush, and undergrowth; appurtenant and incidental work.” Exact location and current… read more

Fort Myer, South Post (former) – Arlington VA

Date added: June 22, 2013

Originally known as the Arlington Cantonment and then as South Post, this area was a part of Fort Myer. In 1940, WPA labor was used to: “Construct, improve and rehabilitate buildings, including installing plumbing, heating and electrical facilities, public utility… read more

Municipal Improvements – Occoquan VA

Date added: June 16, 2013

In 1933-34, the CWA erected a wharf in Occoquan. The PWA and CCC also worked on other nearby improvements. The original docks and wharves have been replaced over time due to disastrous floods in 1965 and 1974, but the photos… read more

Fort Myer Improvements – Arlington VA

Date added: May 31, 2013

Fort Myer is a US Army post adjacent to Arlington National Cemetery. Along with many other military installations throughout the country, it received significant funding and improvements from New Deal agencies. One result was a new NCO housing area: “The… read more

Fort Belvoir (Fort Humphreys) – Alexandria VA

Date added: May 31, 2013

Originally called Fort Humphreys, this Army post was established during World War I. The name was changed to Fort Belvoir in 1935. “Title I of the Work Relief and Public Works Appropriation Act gave $13,942,572 in WPA funds and $52,283,400… read more

Arlington National Cemetery Improvements – Arlington VA

Date added: May 29, 2013

Project cards in the National Archives index describes extensive work to be undertaken by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in Arlington National Cemetery in 1938-41.   “Reconstruct and improve roads and streets in Arlington National Cemetery Reservation located near Fort… read more

Roaches Run Waterfowl Sanctuary – Arlington VA

Date added: May 24, 2013

In 1934-35, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) helped develop Roaches Run Waterfowl Sanctuary out of the marshes along the south shore of the Potomac River. Roaches Run  is located at the north end of National Airport, which was developed a… read more

Picnic shelter, Fort Hunt Park

Fort Hunt Park – Alexandria VA

Date added: May 24, 2013

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed the Fort Hunt site as a recreational park from 1936 to 1939.  The work was very extensive, including excavating a lake, a golf course, roads and parking areas, and a storm drainage system.  The… read more

Abingdon Plantation Historic Site Restoration – Arlington VA

Date added: May 24, 2013

The Abingdon Plantation Historic Site is the birthplace of Nellie Custis (1779-1852), granddaughter of Martha Washington and step-granddaughter of George Washington. Following the death of her father (John Parke Custis) in 1781, Nelly and her brother, George Washington Parke Custis,… read more