San Francisco Hall of Justice and County Jail (demolished) – San Francisco CA


Rehabilitated County Jail.–Healy, p. 72. General rehabilitation of building with additional rooms on roof. Completion of unfinished work by S.E.R.A.–Mooser, p. 85.

This Hall of Justice was built in 1912 and rehabilitated by the WPA in the 1930s. However, the building was demolished in 1968 and replaced in 1971, along with the neighboring coroner’s office, with what is now the Hilton San Francisco Financial District.


Project Details

Federal Cost Local Cost Total Cost Project #'s

Source notes

Healy, Clyde E. San Francisco Improved: Report of Clyde E. Healy, Assistant City Engineer - City of San Francisco and Coordinator of W.P.A. Projects, Period October 10, 1935 to August 31, 1939. San Francisco : [s.n.]., 1939. United States. Work Projects Administration (Calif.) Report on Progress of the Works Program in San Francisco. January, 1938. Works Progress Administration / William Mooser, Jr., branch manager. [San Francisco? 1938]

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

Location Info

750 Kearny St.
San Francisco, CA 94108

Location notes: Kearny between Merchant and Washington
Now the site of the Hilton San Francisco Financial District.

Coordinates: 37.795048, -122.404836

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *