Columbia Island Improvements – Washington DC

CCC boys on Columbia Island - Washington DC

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) did extensive improvements on Columbia Island in 1934-35. Construction of Memorial Bridge and the George Washington Parkway had made the island more accessible in the late 1920s.  A  HABS Survey describes the CCC’s work: “The… read more

Constitution Avenue Expansion – Washington DC

In 1933, the Washington Post announced the approval of several road surfacing projects funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA) : “Among projects approved here are paving of Sixteenth street, Constitution Avenue, Michigan Avenue, Columbia Road, Foxhall Road, Good Hope… read more

D.C. Workhouse and Reformatory Historic District Improvements – Washington DC

The Civil Works Administration and the Public Works Administration (PWA) completed improvements at the District of Columbia Reformatory and Workhouse (today’s “D.C. Workhouse and Reformatory Historic District”) between 1933 and 1940. “During the latter part of December 1933 an appropriation was obtained… read more

Eastern Avenue Improvements – Washington DC

The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) carried out pavement repair and other unspecified improvements to a long segment of Eastern Avenue, from Bunker Hill Road to Queens Chapel Road. This road was paved with “temporary… read more

Edgewood Recreation Center Improvements – Washington DC

During the 1930s, Edgewood Playground, as it was then known, was upgraded as part of a larger Capital Parks improvement program undertaken by the Public Works Administration (PWA), Civil Work Adminstration (CWA), Works Progress Administration (WPA), and Civilian Conservation Corps… read more