A Public Works Administration grant helped to fund construction of the Montlake Boulevard Pedestrian Overcrossing on the campus of the University of Washington. The bridge provided a safer pedestrian connection between the main part of the campus west of Montlake… read more
The Montlake Playfield and Shelter House were constructed partially on fill in former marshlands on the shores of Portage Bay between 1933 and 1936. In the 1910s and 1920s, houseboats moored there, and Dahlialand, a local garden store, utilized nearby… read more
From the National Register of Historic Places nomination file: “Built on the eve of World War II, on the southwest shore of Seattle’s Lake Union, the Naval Reserve Armory is a historically and architecturally significant structure closely associated with the… read more
“Twenty-five men from the WPA rolls will begin work Monday, November 8, on the final stages of the grading and landscaping at the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries laboratory, 2725 Montlake Boulevard, near the Seattle Yacht Club, it was learned yesterday… read more
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) worked to improve Seattle’s former Railroad Avenue ca. 1933-4. Railroad Avenue was later replaced by the Alaskan Way.
The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds provided funding for the construction of the Art Deco-accented bridge carrying SW Admiral Way above Schmitz Park. Construction occurred between 1936 and 1937. The PWA provided a grant of $68,200; the total cost… read more
In 1939 and 1940, WPA workers made several improvements to the South Seattle Playground, beginning with the demolition of the four-story former South Seattle School building, which had closed in 1932 but remained on the site. Much of the brick… read more
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) worked to improve Seattle’s former Spokane Street Bridge ca. 1933-4. The bridge has since been replaced.
Multiple Section of Fine Arts murals hang in Seattle’s University Station post office. The murals by Jacob Elshin were painted in 1939 and are entitled Historical Review of Education and Present Day Education and Present Day Education. The murals are… read more
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) worked to develop and improve the playground at Seattle’s Van Asselt School. A photo at the U of Washington shows a field of stumps and clearing efforts with the caption “State of Wash., E.R.A…. read more
WPA workers completed several improvement projects at West Queen Anne Playfield between 1936 and 1939. The largest of these projects was the construction of a combination shelter house, grandstand, and baseball backstop near the intersection of West Blaine Street and… read more
The Treasury Department funded the construction of the Seattle federal courthouse, which was the first single-purpose federal courthouse on the west coast. The project was originated in 1936 by the department’s Procurement Division and completed in 1940, by which time… read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided funding and labor for numerous improvement projects at Seattle’s Woodland Park Zoo during the New Deal period. The initial projects were completed in 1933. In the following years,… read more